David Haye: 'I'm not afraid to quit but I want another shot at a title'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Haye: 'I'm not afraid to quit but I want another shot at a title'

By Mr. David Haye
    (Taken from his column in the London Evening Standard)

I’m left wondering whether I’ll ever wear a pair of boxing gloves again. My last fight was a fifth-round knockout of Dereck Chisora in July but a big part of me hopes that won’t be my last ever ring outing.

Yes, I’ve achieved enough to walk away content and happy were that to be the case. But, at 32 and still in my athletic prime, I can’t help but feel there is unfinished business in the heavyweight division.

It’s no great secret that I want to knock out Vitali Klitschko in 2013. The contract for the fight has been agreed and is there ready to sign. Were it simply up to me, I’d be training to fight right now. Instead, I’m away from the gym and left to play the waiting game.

Nobody seems to know if Vitali wants to set foot again in the ring, let alone face somebody as dangerous as me. What I do know is that by this time next year I will either be a retired former world heavyweight champ or the new world heavyweight champ.

The prospect of retirement doesn’t scare me. I’ve always planned on retiring at a young age, with my faculties intact. Also, unlike some of my peers, I have plenty to get on with away from boxing.

My long-term goal is to become an actor but, in the meantime, I’m looking at lots of ways to stay busy and keep my mind active. I think that is important for any boxer or former boxer no longer training or competing. Just this month I put the finishing touches to a fitness DVD, which reached No1 on the Amazon pre-sales chart, and also an iPhone game, which did similar in the Apple gaming charts.

But the real game is in the ring and by this time next year I want to be recognised as the undisputed number one in the heavyweight division.

This is getting boring now, You said you would retire when you turn 31, you did but then you are still kinda fighting and calling the Klits out, Yes I understand its all about money but he needs to stick to one decision.

Comment

He either needs to stfu and fight, or stfu and not fight. Seems he wants everything handed to him, with no work on his part.

Comment

Vitali will not fight you Haye, get over it, he wants no part of you at all, everyone can see that. So, either fight someone else or retire

Comment

Translation: I want to fool the boxing public for another payday!

Sincerely, the heavyweight fraud...

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
            By Mr. David Haye
            But the real game is in the ring and by this time next year I want to be recognised as the undisputed number one in the heavyweight division.
            well if that is his goal, then he should try and become mandatory for wlad - that would put him much closer to his goal than fighting vitali.

anyway, it is pretty clear that vitali doesn't want to fight him anymore, due to his age and obvious decline in terms of condition, power and speed.

Comment

He needs to stop bs or to go forever!

go fight pulev, povetkin or arreola, then go for wlad. if not just sfu.

Comment

Don't worry davey, Vitali will knock you out this year...

Comment

vVitali is reetiring. Once fury or Price win the vacated belt you can fight one of them instead

Comment

Dave, you're going to have to retire because Klitali wants none of you.

Comment

Working...
                    X