Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Best Fight in Boxing is a Blown Up Welterweight vs a 38yr Old MW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always thought Mayweather vs Martinez would be a better fight than Mayweather vs Pacquiao. The 1st would be genuinely competitive.

I think Mayweather lacks the courage to take either fight, though.

Comment

Originally posted by HooksInYou View Post
      I always thought Mayweather vs Martinez would be a better fight than Mayweather vs Pacquiao. The 1st would be genuinely competitive.

I think Mayweather lacks the courage to take either fight, though.
      No, you just lack the brains to understand the politics of each situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
        Well the agenda is clear. Mayweather can do what he wants. If he wants to take certain fights at 54 and not others, then that's on him. As a fan, you can either be a hater who whines about that or a rational person who sees it for what it is. Mayweather is a WW who has taken 2 fights at 54, 5 years apart. I don't recall Mayweather coming out and telling people that he would fight the remainder of his career at 54 so.... Martinez is clearly bigger than Floyd and at this point it's obvious that 54 isn't his best weight. Sure he'd go down to meet Mayweather for the pay-day, but let's not act like Martinez-Mayweather is a natural matchup at this point. It's not.
        Ortiz was practically the same size as Sergio comes in at fight night.. :|... Why is there this irrational fear of Martinez fighting Mayweather at 154? The size difference isn't all that big... I mean... Martinez can fight much bigger dudes, including basically a cruiserweight.. but Floyd can't fight a guy who might outweigh him 10 pounds on fight night? Come on... Weight classes exist for a reason, don't hate the player hate the game. If they can and both HAVE fought at 154, then there's no problem.

Too small for 154? Stay the f uck out of 154 then lol.

Sergio is like a 38 year old coming off hand injuries, KNEE SURGERY, AND having to "drain" himself (he's apparently massive) just to fight what some people act like a tiny man in Floyd. A lot of Floyd fans like to give Pac s hit and say "Oh he wasn't too small for this guy right?" But when Martinez comes up for Floyd, Floyd shrinks down to featherweight size.

Look, I like Floyd's skills as much as the next guy..and I dont want to see this fight to see "Floyd lose". I want to see Floyd fight a guy with more than just a small chance. We're aware he can do what he wants, which he will. That doesn't mean that's not the best fight he could make in terms of "legacy". He could retire off a Martinez win... Who cares if he beats Guerrero?
        Last edited by NearHypnos; 12-23-2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Martinez is a freak. There is nothing sad about it.

I would dish out 100 bucks for that fight as I'm sure other hardcore fans would. I can promise you Floyd will never take that fight though.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
            Ortiz was practically the same size as Sergio comes in at fight night.. :|... Why is there this irrational fear of Martinez fighting Mayweather at 154? The size difference isn't all that big... I mean... Martinez can fight much bigger dudes, including basically a cruiserweight.. but Floyd can't fight a guy who might outweigh him 10 pounds on fight night? Come on... Weight classes exist for a reason, don't hate the player hate the game. If they can and both HAVE fought at 154, then there's no problem.

Sergio is like a 38 year old coming off hand injuries, KNEE SURGERY, AND having to "drain" himself (he's apparently massive) just to fight what some people act like a tiny man in Floyd. A lot of Floyd fans like to give Pac s hit and say "Oh he wasn't too small for this guy right?" But when Martinez comes up for Floyd, Floyd shrinks down to featherweight size.

Look, I like Floyd's skills as much as the next guy..and I dont want to see this fight to see "Floyd lose". I want to see Floyd fight a guy with more than just a small chance. We're aware he can do what he wants, which he will. That doesn't mean that's not the best fight he could make in terms of "legacy". He could retire off a Martinez win... Who cares if he beats Guerrero?
            ^^^ This exactly.

I don't get the irrational fear and all the excuses made when Sergios name appears as a opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldSugar View Post
              Wow, we are in a sad state right now.
              I guess Hearns/Hagler and Leonard/Hagler weren't good matchups.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                Well the agenda is clear. Mayweather can do what he wants. If he wants to take certain fights at 54 and not others, then that's on him. As a fan, you can either be a hater who whines about that or a rational person who sees it for what it is. Mayweather is a WW who has taken 2 fights at 54, 5 years apart. I don't recall Mayweather coming out and telling people that he would fight the remainder of his career at 54 so.... Martinez is clearly bigger than Floyd and at this point it's obvious that 54 isn't his best weight. Sure he'd go down to meet Mayweather for the pay-day, but let's not act like Martinez-Mayweather is a natural matchup at this point. It's not.
                Thanks for clarifying things

so its clear that floyd is choosing not to face Sergio Martinez. i say "choosing" not to face Sergio Martinez because ducking implies he is afraid of that match up

but the way you explained it i can see why people would use the word "duck" when floyd "chooses" not to face Sergio Martinez

but i disagree with you saying its not a natural matchup

if you want to see floyd test his abilities than the only natural matchup is Sergio Martinez. because it is

Comment

Why are some of you so disingenuous? Martinez is a middleweight who hasn't made 54 in 3 years. Ortiz had just moved up from LWW and had 1 fight at WW before his fight with Mayweather. That's a stupid comparison. Mayweather can choose to do whatever he wants, this isn't a question of what Mayweather can't do or irrational fear. If he chooses to fight Martinez then that's what it is, if he chooses not to then that's what it is too. I was simply being honest about the matchup and my thoughts on why certain people want the fight to be made so badly. People want to see Mayweather lose and think that Martinez has the best shot mainly because he's clearly the bigger man. I wouldn't mind seeing the fight, but I can also see why Mayweather wouldn't take it.

Hey, put this in a letter and mail it to Floyd to see if he cares that this is how you feel.

Save all the hyperbole and strawman arguments. I don't speak for anyone but myself. Let Mayweather worry about his legacy, why are you worried about it? I would like to see Mayweather-Martinez, Mayweather-Alvarez, and Mayweather-Trout too, but I'm also not an idiot who doesn't understand the politics of the sport. I can use my brain to think and understand why Mayweather wouldn't take all of those fights. For whatever reason, a lot of you are either too stupid or unwilling to take the politics of things into account. It's easier for simpletons to call a fighter a cowards and question his manhood when the fighter fails to do what they want them to do.

Comment

Originally posted by 2120 View Post
                    Thanks for clarifying things

so its clear that floyd is choosing not to face Sergio Martinez. i say "choosing" not to face Sergio Martinez because ducking implies he is afraid of that match up

but the way you explained it i can see why people would use the word "duck" when floyd "chooses" not to face Sergio Martinez

but i disagree with you saying its not a natural matchup

if you want to see floyd test his abilities than the only natural matchup is Sergio Martinez. because it is
                    Martinez is already on record saying that he would come down to fight Mayweather, so common sense should have told you that the fight not being made is because Mayweather has chosen not to make it. You and others can call it a "duck" or whatever else makes you feel better. It's not a natural matchup because Martinez is the much bigger guy. He's a middleweight that would have to somewhat drain himself to get to 54 while Mayweather is a WW that would have to bloat himself to make 54.

Mayweather's abilities are tested in every fight. I know that he makes it look easy and that hurts the soul of haters, but it's not as easy as he makes it look.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                      I guess Hearns/Hagler and Leonard/Hagler weren't good matchups.
                      Is Hearns a small middleweight?

Leonard and Hagler was seen as a pretty joke fight at the time as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X