No announcement yet.

Need to Lose at 23 lbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to Lose at 23 lbs

Hey guys, so I started up boxing about 2 weeks ago. Been training like a madman and conditioning best I could. My coach wants to put me in an amateur match August 27th if I keep on progressing the way I am. Thing is I need to lose 23-25 more lbs to make 169. Is this possible, while still staying healthy?

Well the math is:

You have just over 9 weeks.
    A calorie deficit of 1000 a day = 2lbs weight loss a week.
    That's 18lbs in 9 weeks if you stick to that.

I'd take that as a rough guideline, weigh yourself often and consistently (at the same times each day) and get to know your own body; how much weight you lose during exercise and that sort of thing.

I think you can do it as long as you stay disciplined, worst case scenario you'll have to cut a bit of water weight before the weigh in.

Comment

It wont be healthy for you. Let me be the first to tell you that stepping nto the ring drained from making weight is no way to fight. Besides, your going to have to cut your intake way down to even come close to making it. You will be draining your body for the whole training period and that is no way to prepare for a fight. You gotta be strong steppin' in man.

Train yourass off while being sensible about what your eating and drinking. See what weight your at and maybe fight the class above. It will make more sense to fight strong against a slightly bigger guy than to fight weak against a slightly smaller guy.

****, tell your coach that he will need to drop some weight to work your corner, that you dont like unfit corner men.

What ever you decide to do, good luck..............Rockin'

Comment

Twenty pounds can easily be dropped the day of the weigh-in, a good twenty-four hours before fighttime, which is plenty of time to recoup. Easily. And you won't be drained; you'll feel great if you know what you're doing. Easily.

E

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
          Twenty pounds can easily be dropped the day of the weigh-in, a good twenty-four hours before fighttime, which is plenty of time to recoup. Easily. And you won't be drained; you'll feel great if you know what you're doing. Easily.

E
          Just to make sure that you understand it, he's being ironic.

Comment

2 pounds per week is considered the max for safe/healthy weight loss. 9 weeks out = 18lbs, and that's training really hard and eating super clean. Plus you would have no time to taper down your training to go into the fight rested so you'd have even less time to lose it.

Take a fight some time later.

You want to go into your first fights (well all fights actually) confident and strong, not tired and drained becuase you had to starve yourself in the weeks leading up to it. You'll just be worn out.

Comment

Ok, it seems like it may be a little much but I will do my best to continue shedding the pounds. If i dont feel rested enough for the fight then I wont do it. Definitely want to win my first match haha.

Comment

It can definitely be done, relatively healthily if you do it correctly and are knowledgable about the way to go about it. Probably more important than all of that though is you better have some SERIOUS self discipline.

Comment

Wait, just read the OP... You started boxing 2 weeks ago and your already thinking about a match? I would definitely wait and see how things go with training and sparring, let alone losing weight. Talk about being thrown into the fire...

Comment

Originally posted by FM3O View Post
                    Wait, just read the OP... You started boxing 2 weeks ago and your already thinking about a match? I would definitely wait and see how things go with training and sparring, let alone losing weight. Talk about being thrown into the fire...
                    Ive had around 3 sparring matches so far and have been training 6 days a week. I feel great and guess Im doing well. Still not enough though but I guess my coach thinks im doing well enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X