Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Ray Leonards Camp treat Angelo Dundee Right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Ray Leonards Camp treat Angelo Dundee Right?

I have read he only got 1 per cent for the hagler fight and prior to that Mike Trainer was trying to renegotiate his contract.

Not sure, but from the Beyond The Glory bio I saw, it didn't sound like he treated any or most of his original camp right when he promptly fired them all, even his brothers. I mean WTF man.

Comment

his brother had drug issues yet ray himself admits to spending a million on blow and being high when he baited hagler at his first retirement anouncement

Comment

His Camp??? You mean Ray Leonard, right? Once Ray began "picking up the pennies" career he didn't want to give what Angelo earned cut wise in the past! So he cut ties with Angelo to save some money!
        Dundee did very well between Ali and Leonard as far as earnings!!! He was an in the gym everyday trainer asw he once did years before. He was the advisor as to gym activities and the chief second in the corners during the fight! After a time Ali did what he wanted training wise but he certainly learned from Dundee how to conduct himself and getting into great shape!!!
        Leonards trainer was Dave Jacobs with Jenks Morton taught Ray to box and Jenks was his main stay guy! Again Dundee advising and handling the corners!
        Ray.

Comment

Probably not, but this is Ray Leonard we're talking about here.The man could be a scumbag at times.

Comment

Yeah, just ask his ex-wife and sons.

Comment

I have enough material through books and articles to have a formulated opinion on this. The short answer is NO. Leonard was always closer to his attorney Bob Trainer who helped formulate his company which essentially made him independent from any major promoter. Leonard was not keen on Dundee getting a certain percentage from his fights, Dundee got $150,000 for the Benitez fight since he was due 15% of the cut. Obviously, they were aware once the purses got bigger that Dundee would get more. So they put a cap at 150K for Dundee's cut.

Dundee served also as matchmaker for Leonard. So he picked Leonard's opponents. Leonard in his book "Big Fight" calls out Dundee for picking natural middleweight Marcos Geraldo as an opponent. Geraldo was known as a "glass chin" but he actually hurt Leonard in their fight, and Leonard actually claims that Geraldo was the origin of his future detached retina.

Dundee i believe got only $150,000 for the Hagler fight, and Dundee was getting pissed since he saw how much trainers as Emmanuel Steward was getting paid (millions) to train and manage Hearns.

Leonard always wanted to retain all the money within his empire. As Ray Corso pointed out Leonard felt that his original trainers as Jacobs, Correra and Morton are the people who really taught him boxing. He felt Dundee best asset was being in the corner and giving him advise on ring day. Leonard trashes Dundee's book claiming that somehow Dundee should appreciate that he gave DUndee the spotlight after Ali retired. Leonard fails to recognize that Dundee didn't need Leonard, and had plenty of other options and champions to make a living. In fact, the way Leonard ripped Dundee off i am astonished the relationship lasted that long.

Dundee and his legal team sent a contract to Leonard's attorney Bob Trainer and never got a response, this was before the Lalonde fight. As a result, both camps severed ties. Leonard would end his career 2-2-1 in his last five fights without Dundee.

Red K appreciated from Leonard fans.

Comment

Working...
              X