No announcement yet.

larry holmes best win

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• larry holmes best win

As far as exposure his fights with ali and cooney got more but his win against ken norton stands out as he was fighting with an injury against a very game opponent. what do you think?

Probably Cooney, not Norton. The reason I say that is Cooney was perceived more favorably than Norton going in, and Holmes beat him more decisively than Norton.

Comment

/thread

Comment

Its a tough call this one:

The Norton fight was probably his toughest win.

The first Shavers fight was possibly his finest display of sheer boxing skill. This might also be very under appreciated when considering Shavers's excellent performances against Ali and Norton.

The Cooney match was also a very good performance, but poor Gerry might have been a touch over-rated based on his recent diet of near shot has beens.

A controversial choice might be the victory over Tim Witherspoon. Terrible Tim might have been relatively inexperienced, but he was clearly well prepared and very much in his prime. 'That' Witherspoon may well have beaten Norton, Cooney and Shavers too.

Comment

A great win for Larry was his battering of David Bey. A lot of people were picking the strong and aggressive Bey to be just the kind of guy who was gonna push a faded Holmes to defeat. But, Larry absolutely took Bey to school and showed his punching power had increased with age, too.

Comment

He had alot of real good wins!! The Norton fight was a brutal bout and one of the best heabyweight bouts to watch! I think its a great fight and a great win and survival mode in the ring at its best. Lots of credit goes to Kenny who fought really hard against Larry & Ali! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              He had alot of real good wins!! The Norton fight was a brutal bout and one of the best heabyweight bouts to watch! I think its a great fight and a great win and survival mode in the ring at its best. Lots of credit goes to Kenny who fought really hard against Larry & Ali! Ray.
              Holmes-Norton is my all-time favorite heavyweight fight.

Comment

Best Holmes win

My favorite was against Renaldo Snipes.
                Holmes get back on his feet after absorbing a brutal
                Knockdown. Larry had guts to spare!

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                  As far as exposure his fights with ali and cooney got more but his win against ken norton stands out as he was fighting with an injury against a very game opponent. what do you think?
                  For me it's the Norton fight, I agree. He fought through with a shoulder injury and beat a still very strong Ken Norton.

Comment

Working...
                  X