Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just watched Holyfield-Tyson again. Got a question for NSB.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
    It would be funny to see Chisora try to out crazy Mike, lol.

He wouldnt pull any of that **** with Tyson, he would sit down and shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by chloelloyd View Post
      Just watched Holyfield-Tyson again. This version of Mike was definitely past prime, but he was actually still pretty fast and powerful.

My question is can a 96-97 past prime version of Mike Tyson (the one who fought Holyfield) unify today's heavyweight division if the Kbros were not around? This makes for some very interesting match ups.

Wladimir obviously beats the version of Tyson that fought Holyfield. But if k2 were not around, it will be.

Thomaz Adamek
      Alexander Povetkin
      Chris Arreloa
      David Haye
      kubrat Puluv
      Mariuz Wach
      David Price
      Tyson Fury
      Eddie Chambers
      Seth Mitchell
      Bryant Jennings
      Tony Thompson
      Mago
      Detontay Wilder etc.

How would a 96-97 version of Iron Mike have done against these guys?

Actually come to think of it a mid 90's Mike against Current Vitali will be very interesting as well.
      i just cannot agree with the bolded part. i have always felt that if wlad fought tyson, tyson would ko wlad. most thought i was crazy. my theory was wlad was open for a aggressive fighter to take him out of his zone into uncharted waters and drown him. then cory sanders came along and validated my theory. vitali would be a much harder target to take down than wlad. IMO

Comment

Tyson would have ploughed his way through all of today's HWs and I include Wlad in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Punch View Post
          Tyson would have ploughed his way through all of today's HWs and I include Wlad in that.
          I agree with this.

Comment

Yes. And if you remove the genius, guts, chin [and head] of Evander in that fight, there is much less of a blueprint to work with to beat Mike. Nobody was ever gonna be able to recreate the Douglas masterpiece, so I don't consider that to be as much of a blueprint to beat Mike as I do Holyfield's plan

Evander solidified his legend in that fight and it was an all-time performance. You could combine the experience of 3 random heavyweights today and you still might come up short with matching Holyfield at the time...and we'd have a hard time finding someone now who could fight inside as good as Evander.

So, without that blueprint and without anyone out there who is even half of what Evander was in his time, I think that version of Mike would be able to unify now. The window on him doing it wouldn't be big though, maybe two years before he inevitably self-destructs
            Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 09-11-2012, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrjoeblive View Post
              i just cannot agree with the bolded part. i have always felt that if wlad fought tyson, tyson would ko wlad. most thought i was crazy. my theory was wlad was open for a aggressive fighter to take him out of his zone into uncharted waters and drown him. then cory sanders came along and validated my theory. vitali would be a much harder target to take down than wlad. IMO
              Which made me feel sorry for the TA in the first place... It's a terrible style matchup for Wladimir Klitschko. Not to mention the fact; you want to hang with Tyson you have to be utterly fearless. FEARLESS.

Comment

He was fast, and powerful enough, but he had absolutely no game. He became extremely predictable after a few rounds, and easy to hit.
                And against such big heavyweights i think he would struggle. In his prime he could outwork opponents he could stop. But the 96 version only fought bums, and then was beat up by Holyfield.
                Even Botha was outboxing him before getting KO'd.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Punch View Post
                  PRIME Tyson vs current wlad is 50/50 at best for Tyson, I believe wlad would knock him out though

He could probably just about scrape through current vitali who is WAY past prime, but prime vitali beats Tyson up and stops him in 8 or less

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                    Which made me feel sorry for the TA in the first place... It's a terrible style matchup for Wladimir Klitschko. Not to mention the fact; you want to hang with Tyson you have to be utterly fearless. FEARLESS.
                    Wow. I try to be respectful and show no signs of trolling.
                    You are getting on nerves just a little bit with your total lack of knowledge in regards to the current HW Division Champion and the 90's HW ERA.

Very very few people think a Prime Tyson will lose to this current version of Wladimir Klitschko. Nobody said that. I don't believe that either. But for you to indicate that a 96-97 version of Mike would beat Wladimir easily and for you to dismiss the fact that Wlad would have been a favorite. It's a bit of a stretch. At most I will see it as a 50-50 fight. I will like someone who is more into heavyweights to break it down instead of you.

Your mind thinks that the version of Tyson that fought Holyfield is some animal with insane head movement and lightning fast combinations or what? He's not. He was semi shot and heading into oblivion. He still got great power, and decent speed, but he was broken apart by Holyfield later on in the fight. His stamina was gone, his defense was slacking, his foot work was mediocre. Now, NONE of this matters against guys like Arreloa and Adamek but we are talking about a ATG in Wladimir.

Forget 96-97 Tyson, even Prime Tyson had troubles with super heavyweights. 6'4 James Smith and 6'6 Tony Tucker both lasted the full 12 against PRIME Tyson. They frustrated him via clinching and by working the jab and basically fighting like boring spoilers who's sole intention is to last the distance.

6'4 Ruddock went the full 12 with a 91-92 Version of Iron Mike during their 2nd fight and had many moments and won rounds, not to mention hurting Mike all throughout the fight.
                    Wladimir Klithscko is more careful then Ruddock, Smith, or Tucker. He got better defense, he have much more power and he got a much better jab.

Not to mention we are talking about a 96-97 VERSION of Tyson, who is already a shadow of the 80's Tyson. Also what the **** does utterly fearless have to do with anything? You think Wladimir is scared of Tyson or what?
                    Wlad was knocked out and stopped three times in his youth and never once quit or made excuses. He came back time and time again and was almost knocked out again against Samuel Peter in the first fight, but never gave up and rise to become champion. To think that a mid 90's version or ANY version of Mike Tyson will 'scare' Wladimir is delusional and a insult to a great champion.

Mid 90's Mike vs Wladimir is a 50-50 fight at best.

Mid 90's Mike vs Lennox Lewis would have resulted in Tyson getting brutally knocked out.
                    That version of Mike was not going to beat many ATG'S, I just feel that version could have been the undisputed champ today without Wladimir around. Because guys like Arreloa, Wach, Puluv are 4-6 Round fighters that a 96 Mike could have taken full advantage of.

Back up your point with more insight then sarcastic one liners, or get out of this thread and go talk about 50 Cent banging Floyd's wife.
                    Last edited by chloelloyd; 09-11-2012, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Wladimir Klitschko never wins fantasy fights!

Just because Holyfield in particular squeaked out a few 'good' wins post 96 does not mean he was prime, both Mike & Holyfield was done in 96. BOTH past their prime!

Mike more so, his head movement was noway near what it was, he'd visibly slowed & didn't use angles like he once did. By this time he was ruined! He became frustrated easily if he couldn't blow a guy out in a few rounds he began to fall apart mentally & physically.

Holyfield well apart from avenging a win over Moorer & a completely shot Tyson I can not think of anything he really did past 96. Maybe he did though but his best days were long gone too.

Wladimir in particular would DESTROY both Holyfield & Tyson of the 96 era.
                      If lesser fighters could I am sure as hell Wladimir could. I think if David Price got more experience he could potentially beat both from 96'
                      The rest of the list get eaten alive.

Comment

Working...
                      X