No announcement yet.

James Cameron "I'm only going to make Avatar films now"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Cameron "I'm only going to make Avatar films now"

Oscar-winning filmmaker James Cameron says he won't be making any other future films as either a producer or director except for Avatar sequels and documentaries.

In an interview with The New York Times, Cameron revealed, "Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company's development arm. So I'm not interested in developing anything. I'm in the Avatar business. Period. That's it. I'm making Avatar 2, Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4, and I'm not going to produce other people's movies for them. I'm not interested in taking scripts. And that all sounds I suppose a little bit restricted, but the point is I think within the "Avatar" landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it. And doing it in an entertaining way. And anything I can't say in that area, I want to say through documentaries, which I'm continuing."

Cameron, who acknowledged that he's mulling the possibility of his Avatar sequels as Chinese co-productions, also said that actual production on the sequels was still a ways off. As he explained, "We've spent the last year and a half on software development and pipeline development. The virtual production methodology was extremely prototypical on the first film. As then, no one had ever done it before and we didn't even know for two and half years into it and $100 million into it if it was going to work."

Cameron continued, "So we just wanted to make our lives a whole lot easier so that we can spend a little more of our brainpower on creativity. It was a very, very uphill battle on the first film. So we've been mostly working on the tool set, the production pipeline, setting up the new stages in Los Angeles, setting up the new visual effects pipeline in New Zealand, that sort of thing. And, by the way, writing. We haven't gotten to the design stage yet. That'll be the next."

As The Playlist points out, this only Avatar sequels and documentaries approach to his filmmaking future would certainly seem to nix any hope for those waiting to see Cameron make his long-anticipated Battle Angel movie or even take up the reins of Terminator 5.

I wasn't aware there was a Dances With Wolves II for him to blatantly rip off.

Comment

avatar is a piece of ****... lotr and star wars are way better...

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocahontas_2

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post

Comment

Good luck to him because avatar was way overrated.

Comment

avatar was quite overrated... SMH at tge fact that the biggest grossing film ever is a shameless rip-off... (wolves, pocahontas, last samurai....)

terminator 1 and 2 was better if u ask me...

Comment

So in other words he plans on sucking for the rest of his career.

Comment

Most films are rip off's.

I mean dancing with wolves was a scripted rip off of what has taken place in real life. Writers just mix it up or change one enemy to an alien or some ****.

Avatar wasn't a great film, but it was good. There are plenty of good films out there, but this is Hollywood and marketing/budget helps a hell of a lot.

Comment

i dunno the MAIN Heavy Selling point of Avatar was 3D not storylines

and it delivered havent seen a 3D Movie thats as good as Avatar in the past couple years actually,

Comment

Working...
                    X