No announcement yet.

Liston vs Frazier

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liston vs Frazier

Back in 1969 Sonny Liston was going to challenge for the world title against Joe Frazier. He referred into fighting Joe Frazier was like shooting fish in a barrell. Now during this period since the Ali lost, Liston racked up a 14 fight win streak. And after the Leotis Martin fight was going to challenge Frazier for the title. If Liston would of gotten the chance to fight Smokin Joe, how would he fair against him.

Prime for prime? Listons length and jab keep him at a somewhat safe length for a Few rounds. Around round 6 joe starts smokin and he ain't jokin. Using his phenominal head movement. Frazier gets under the jab and starts working the body. After a few scares due to listons power, sonnys lead begins to dwindle. Frazier landinh big anf Liston tiring late into the fight. I think Liston survives the late onslaught to win a Close decision.

1969? Liston hasnt a chance in hell. That's a prime frazier. I think he batters liston to a late stoppage.

Comment

Frazier was tailor made for a prime Liston, but with that version of Liston, I think Joe would have struggled early, but then likely wore the older Liston down as the fight went on should he have made it out of the first rounds.

Comment

Prime for prime: Liston blows Frazier out in 2 rounds.

Late 1960s? Liston was completely shot at that point. His late-career fights feature an absolute shell of the beast from the early 60s.

Liston's chin keeps him in the fight until the late rounds, but eventually he's too battered to continue. Frazier TKO10.

Comment

No matter when these two would have fought, what a voilent match up this would have been!

Sonny & Joe seem to be on everybody's list as far as favorite fighters go. I know they're two of my all-time top favorite fighters ever.

Sonny had just a little bit of quit in him when things got real bad. Joe would be next to death and he'd keep coming & coming & coming. Like one of the Jason characters who you can't even blow up. The courage he showed in getting back up against Big George is a benchmark in what a real fighter's heart looks like.

Joe was a little vulnerable to big shots. His heart was stronger than his whiskers, so Sonny would always have a chance of catching Joe with one of his killer shots. But I do think that the pressure Frazier would apply and the pace Joe would keep would be enough to disrupt Liston enough from not being able to really plant one on Joe. I can see Sonny going down mid-late if they would have fought.

I really miss both these guys not being around anymore.

Comment

Prime for prime I'll go with Liston.

But in the late 60s.....lucky punch aside, I'd Favour Frazier by decision or late stoppage.

Comment

Joe's head movement was surreal back then though. It'd be hard to land any flush shots.

Comment

A 1969 Liston would lose to Frazier alright IMO. I could possibly see Liston getting counted out on his knee late. (bear in mind this was the year he got ko'd by Leotis Martin. Maybe that fight is influencing my mind.)

I don't get the love a prime Sonny Liston is getting against Frazier though. IMO out of all the fighters Liston faced before 1964, none where in the class of Frazier.

Having said that, when Liston took prime Cleveland Williams bombs and came back, that showed how Liston could react to a big shot, but then again Williams' didn't have Frazier's relentless style. I think Joe's bobbin' n weavin' could offset the reach advantage of Liston.
                moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by KO'er View Post
                  I don't get the love a prime Sonny Liston is getting against Frazier though.
                  Think George Foreman with better skills and a better jab.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
                    Prime for prime? Listons length and jab keep him at a somewhat safe length for a Few rounds. Around round 6 joe starts smokin and he ain't jokin. Using his phenominal head movement. Frazier gets under the jab and starts working the body. After a few scares due to listons power, sonnys lead begins to dwindle. Frazier landinh big anf Liston tiring late into the fight. I think Liston survives the late onslaught to win a Close decision.

1969? Liston hasnt a chance in hell. That's a prime frazier. I think he batters liston to a late stoppage.
                    correcte mundo

Comment

Working...
                    X