Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Jr. or James "Lights Out" Toney?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post
    Toney is better than all thoose guys (except Holyfield) and Jones outclassed Toney. Toney dosen't have any win on his resume that is better than himself.
    Mike Mccallum is as good as Toney
    3 Divison champion
    Best wins:
    Julian Jackson
    Kalumbay
    Curry

Past Prime Holyfield
    2 Division champion
    Tyson I
    Tyson II
    Moorer
    Last edited by General Zod; 05-08-2010, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by General Zod View Post
      Mike Mccallum is a good as Toney
      3 Divison champion
      Best wins:
      Julian Jackson
      Kalumbay
      Curry

Past Prime Holyfield
      2 Division champion
      Tyson I
      Tyson II
      Moorer
      Roy beat mccallum too.

Comment

Originally posted by T.McGrady View Post
        Roy beat mccallum too.
        Toney beat a good version, Jones beat a shot version. Big difference in the versions they fought.

I'll go with Jones, but I think Toney has the bigger single wins, but overall Jones' accomplishments and consistency win the day for him along with the actual win over Toney when they both met in their primes.

I prefer Toney to Jones, and his wins are, all up, greater than Jones' but Jones will still be ranked higher and rightfully so.

Comment

What would you say Jones' best wins were? To compare.

Comment

Originally posted by GoogleMe View Post
            What would you say Jones' best wins were? To compare.
            Best wins:
            Hopkins
            Toney
            Ruiz
            Tarver
            R.Johnson
            4 division champion

Scoring criteria:
            Consistency:Jones
            Best wins:Toney
            Accomplishments:Jones
            Reaction to adversity:Toney
            Last edited by General Zod; 05-08-2010, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
              98% of those guys are under 30 and are most familiar with their most recent performances.

Which is not to say that guys under 30 can't do their homework and catch up on his legacy.
              Most of them couldn't be arsed though

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by T.McGrady View Post
                Roy beat mccallum too.
                That was a very past prime version of McCallum, who was fighting 3 weight classes above his prime weight class, he was 40 years old and would lose to Toney in his next fight at cw

Comment

Jones had a lot of greats wins too of course. It goes without saying that they were nearly as good as Toney's, but I think Jones' best wins were just short of Toney's.

An obvious one being McCallum. Although they both beat him, Toney beat a great version of McCallum who was still very close to his prime. Jones didn't even get a solid version of McCallum.

If we go through each division: Middleweight Toney had Nunn and McCallum and Jones had Hopkins and Castro. Both good, but Nunn/McCallum was better than Hopkins at that time. SMW: Past it Barkley for Toney and Toney for Jones. Jones wins that one. LHW: Jones wins this one on sheer volume and title accomplishment as Toney didn't really do much at LHW at all.

I guess Jones' best win would be Tarver at LHW. JOnes didn't do CW whereas Toney had a great win over the main guy at CW in the undefeated champion Jirov.

Jones goes to HW and beats Ruiz which is fine. Toney did the same even easier probably, but it was called a NC from steroids (not that it would have made any difference but it was still ****ed from Toney the idiot). But, Toney also beat Holyfield, Peter (even though it was given to Peter it was a ridiculous decision which in no way Peter won so I'm going to include it just because it should be a win) plus a series of other very good wins like Guinn, Booker, Rahman (again a BS decision rematch) etc, whereas Jones' career was up by then.

You know they are both good and bad and have their great points and their ****e points.

Comment

Originally posted by General Zod View Post
                    Best wins:
                    Hopkins
                    Toney
                    Ruiz
                    Tarver
                    R.Johnson
                    4 division champion

Scoring criteria:
                    Consistency:Jones
                    Best wins:Toney
                    Accomplishments:Jones
                    Reaction to adversity:Toney
                    This is about what it comes down to. It's close but overall Jones has it simply because of Toney's laziness really.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                      Jones had a lot of greats wins too of course. It goes without saying that they were nearly as good as Toney's, but I think Jones' best wins were just short of Toney's.

An obvious one being McCallum. Although they both beat him, Toney beat a great version of McCallum who was still very close to his prime. Jones didn't even get a solid version of McCallum.
                      I think that Toney won McCallum I and III, but lost II
                      If we go through each division: Middleweight Toney had Nunn and McCallum and Jones had Hopkins and Castro. Both good, but Nunn/McCallum was better than Hopkins at that time. SMW: Past it Barkley for Toney and Toney for Jones. Jones wins that one.
                      He also beat Littles and Williams, so I'm going with Toney at SMW
                      LHW: Jones wins this one on sheer volume and title accomplishment as Toney didn't really do much at LHW at all.
                      True
                      I guess Jones' best win would be Tarver at LHW. JOnes didn't do CW whereas Toney had a great win over the main guy at CW in the undefeated champion Jirov.
                      I think his best win is Toney
                      Jones goes to HW and beats Ruiz which is fine. Toney did the same even easier probably, but it was called a NC from steroids (not that it would have made any difference but it was still ****ed from Toney the idiot). But, Toney also beat Holyfield, Peter (even though it was given to Peter it was a ridiculous decision which in no way Peter won so I'm going to include it just because it should be a win) plus a series of other very good wins like Guinn, Booker, Rahman (again a BS decision rematch) etc, whereas Jones' career was up by then.
                      Toney done some real dumb things thats for sure
                      You know they are both good and bad and have their great points and their ****e points.
                      I agree
                      Last edited by General Zod; 05-08-2010, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X