No announcement yet.

De La Hoya - Mayweather historical impact

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De La Hoya - Mayweather historical impact

Do you guys think that the winner of this fight belongs in the top ten P4P alltime? I think so. Mayweather is on his way to becoming an alltime great fighter, so I think a win like this would probably cement his spot amongst the best ever. Also, looking at all that De La Hoya has accomplished, if he were to beat Mayweather I think it would put him on that list as well when he retires. What do you guys think?

Yes but it's very unlikely to happen. I saw De La Hoya's press conference and in it he said that he is sticking with Floyd Mayweather Senior as his trainer, who would not work with Oscar in a fight with his son. Oscar is far more likely to fight the winner of Wright-Taylor or else a top guy at 154 lbs. such as Ouma or Karmazin. If De La Hoya planned on continuing his career for several more fights he could fight guys such as Margarito or Vernon Forrest but it's doubtful that with only a couple fights left he will fight either of them.

Comment

I don't think Oscar will fight Winky Wright or Jermain Taylor. Those are style matchups from hell for Oscar, because Oscar has a lot of difficulty stopping really good jabs, as was shown against Quartey and Sturm. Margarito would be a better matchup then either of those guys. I think that the Mayweather fight will probably happen. In the end it would just be worth too much money for anything to get in the way. But for now lets just continue the thread saying "suppose it does happen".

Comment

The winner of DLH-Mayweather belonging in the top 10 all-time? No way. They are great fighters, but not all-time great fighters. Mayweather has all the makings of an elite fighter, but even a victory over DLH isn't enough to propel him into the top 10 all-time. I don't think either has the accomplishments or the level of opposition to be in the top 10. You don't joke about the top 10 all-time. That is serious compnay.

Comment

Originally posted by cple View Post
          The winner of DLH-Mayweather belonging in the top 10 all-time? No way. They are great fighters, but not all-time great fighters. Mayweather has all the makings of an elite fighter, but even a victory over DLH isn't enough to propel him into the top 10 all-time. I don't think either has the accomplishments or the level of opposition to be in the top 10. You don't joke about the top 10 all-time. That is serious compnay.
          - -It was a nice idea in the day.

Comment

Working...
          X