Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yuriorkis Gamboa fights at 126lb.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it is so much about height and reach and frame. It is about whether the weight they gain is muscle or fat. If it was just about height and reach then Tyson should have fought as a middleweight. Donaire could easily move up to much and lose his effectiveness if the weight he gains is not natural muscle. Corrales was not so good at 147 but short stocky guys like Pacquiao and Cotto were able to move up.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      I don't think it is so much about height and reach and frame. It is about whether the weight they gain is muscle or fat. If it was just about height and reach then Tyson should have fought as a middleweight. Donaire could easily move up to much and lose his effectiveness if the weight he gains is not natural muscle. Corrales was not so good at 147 but short stocky guys like Pacquiao and Cotto were able to move up.
      It believe it has a lot to do with bone density, frame structure and size, and sinew thickness etc. You can find people of, say 5'11" who are about a foot wide at the shoulders who weigh 120 lbs, as well as guys 5'2" who weight the same, but are broader with denser bone structure. And don't forget the past generations weigh in was on fight day, which meant lots of welter and middleweights of 5'6 or 5'7. Today they can be 3-4-5 inches taller.

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
        he's not a small 126 lber at all...**** , he's bigger than chris john imo...

the problem i have for gamboa is calling rios out then punking out like a b1tch a week before the fight....there's no explaining that
        You are just a Cuban hater, he didn't went ahead with the fight because he was getting screwed, he has to pay Oner, Gonzalez and Arum over 75% of his earning and the contract was null, so he did what was best for him and probably for Rios too, instead of talking $h1t about Gamboa why you do not say anything about Rios coming over weight, or the robbery against Abril? Still a Cuban with a lot of less talent took the over hyped Rios from kindergarten all the way up to high school in 36 minutes and so...

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
          I just thought I should remind everyone that Yuriorkis Gamboa is a small 126lb fighters with a frame that doesn't leave much room for putting on extra weight.

For some strange reason people keep trying to throw him into fights with fighters 2-3 weight classes above him. I have no idea why...

People seem the avoid the obvious choices, such as Donaire... or Mares...

Fighters that are... you know... within a weight-class of him.
          You clearly dont know **** about Yuri, or small guys in general.

The guy turned pro at 130, then went below for the matchups as 130's been dead for a long time. The guy is 5'5 of pure muscle and walks around 140.

The ideal weight for guys who are 5'5 is 145-147, we all know about successful fighters like May and Pac who like to fight within their walking weight due to their advantages.

IMO Yuri would be good anywhere from 130-140, I really dont know about 147 but at the end of the day look at small guys like Pac or Bradley, skills take care of everything else.

Comment

EXACTLY!

People talking about Him vs Broner...Him vs Mikey Garcia and Gary Russell Jr. to me is what people should be hyping up in the FUTURE...Broner is getting way too big for Gamboa now as much as I would love to see that fight

I am actually more interested in Gary Russell Jr. getting the shot at Gamboa then I am for Broner because I think now Broner would be just PHYSICALLY TOO BIG...yes he can get bigger but I don't want to see a Watered down Version of Gamboa at 140-135 in which he doesn't have his POWER or the Speed not the same or struggles taking punches at 135-140, I would much rather see a Big Fight on a even playing field and and even size and weight then to force him to carry extra weight just to fight Broner

Why not stay at 126 where he is comfortable and DOMINATE against some very talented fighters like Mikey Garcia, Gary Russell Jr, if JuanMa can get his career back on track, Nicholas Walters is a guy on the rise as well or as suggest by the TS, Mares and Donaire is one weight class below, he can either weight for them to come up or fight them at a "CATCHWEIGHT" or what ever...but being asked to leap 3 Weight Classes or so for a guy that is just a naturally smaller GUY is getting RIDICULOUS!
            Last edited by sicko; 08-10-2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X