No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Thomas Oosthuizen: Tommy Gun is Ready for the World

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Thomas Oosthuizen: Tommy Gun is Ready for the World

By Thomas Gerbasi - Certain things can make a young fighter stand out in your memory: good power, blinding speed, a lethal left hook, flash, etc. But the thing that made me watch South African super middleweight Thomas Oosthuizen a bit closer was his reference in several interviews to modeling his style on a mix of Hall of Famers Thomas Hearns and Bob Foster.

Now that’s an intriguing mix for sure, yet what impressed me is that the 25-year-old even knows who Bob Foster is. Call me cynical, but I’m guessing that while the majority of his peers in the fight game would obviously know the “Motor City Cobra,” the Albuquerque light heavyweight terror would draw plenty of blank stares.

Unfortunate? Yes. But that’s a rant for another time. For now, we can get back to Oosthuizen and his respect for his elders, from his father Charles (a former pro boxer himself) and trainer and former welterweight contender Harold Volbrecht, to the aforementioned Hearns and Foster. [Click Here To Read More]

This kid ducked out of a froch fight, I had to watch froch vs mack instead.

Anyway I wouldn't mind seeing him vs groves

Comment

Like I have said on here on a few occassions Tommy is going to rule this division and is the only one at the moment who can dethrone Ward (in my opinion), before anyone has a go at me that is my opinion. I would love to see Tommy next come to the UK and fight Degale to shut that moron up once and for all. I suppose many of you will be having a go at me, so bring it on. Tommy is on the same bill as Golovkin v Macklin so should be able to see this fight live on Sky.

Comment

I've seen him fight twice, and he has some skills for sure. For such a tall fighter, he fights on the inside really well. The one thing I think he will eventually pay for, is the fact that, at times, he doesn't utilize his height and fight tall. When taller, lanky fighters forget to fight tall, and neglect that advantage, they sometimes pay dearly, ala Dawson/Stevenson.

Comment

Couldn't agree more, been following him since the aaron pryor junior fight. He's got it all besides punching power but needs to stop being so ballsy in fights. he doesn't like to use defence at all, and although his chin amazes me he will take shots he could easily avoid. looking forward to seeing him perfect his craft, the kid's got potential.

Comment

Tommy Gun/Bob Foster!!!

:smileysexGood name Recognition too...The Double D Cat makes sense regarding Fighting Tall,
            Bob Foster Hit so Hard, He got away with the Up Close and Personal stuff, but His Inside Punches, Short and Petrifying.....Looking Forward to seeing
            The Gun!!!
            Last edited by jbpanama; 06-28-2013, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I don't think he should have turned down the Froch fight but maybe his team felt he wasn't ready. He needs to get in the mix, he's got the tools to be a top super middleweight.

Comment

I hate this guy's name for some reason.

I hope he fails so I don't have to listen to people saying his name

Comment

Originally posted by WeltshmerzKO View Post
                  Couldn't agree more, been following him since the aaron pryor junior fight. He's got it all besides punching power but needs to stop being so ballsy in fights. he doesn't like to use defence at all, and although his chin amazes me he will take shots he could easily avoid. looking forward to seeing him perfect his craft, the kid's got potential.
                  Agree with this post and the post above. Kid's got skills and I look forward to him growing as a fighter. I think he'll be at the top of the division soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X