Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gene Tunney VS every lineal HW champ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eddie Machen's performance says otherwise.

I would not be especially surprised by any outcome regarding Liston & Tunney. Tunney has as big an advantage tactically as Liston does physically (with his sizeable edges in power, range, & strength). He has the style & the ring intelligence to hang with Liston.

Tunney was a rock-jawed, thinking man's fighter --- much the superior of Machen --- with much quicker hands & faster feet than Liston. He was not vulnerable, or prone to self-doubt, ala Patterson, & his defense perfectly complimented his whiskers to make him a very tough proposition for a KO.

With all that said, I think more often than not Liston would have crushed Machen in the early-to-mid rounds, & I would not be surprised if he did likewise on his best night with Tunney, but I don't see it as a foregone conclusion.

IMO, Tunney would be quite the live underdog against Liston & Foreman both (remembering the latter's problems with both Peralta & Young, albeit not during his prime years), but the risk of him being blown out would doubtless be very real.

Frazier, not so much. Tunney would not be disgraced, & could probably win something like a 10-rounder, but Frazier's work-rate & clear style advantage would be too much over fifteen.

Comment

tunney beats all of them cept johnosn, dempsey, ali.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
        My gym Mate says tunney could beat any HW champ in history
        prime for prime, against every champ how does he do?
        Let's throw Norton in there too for sng
        Who's your gym mate, Stevie Wonder?

Comment

Working...
        X