No announcement yet.

"King" Arthur Takes The Big Step Towards Boxing Royalty

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "King" Arthur Takes The Big Step Towards Boxing Royalty

By Jake Donovan - “King” Arthur Abraham was on the fast track to stardom early in his career, but reached a point where being forced to settle for number two was as good as it would get.

All he wanted was the chance to prove he’s the best middleweight on the planet.

It’s a question that will forever go unanswered, but a few years and eight pounds later now has the chance to prove he’s the best super middleweight in the world.

The first step towards obtaining boxing royalty comes this weekend, when he faces former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor at the O2 World Arena in Berlin, Germany (Saturday, Showtime, 8PM ET/PT same-day tape-delay). The bout officially launches the highly anticipated Super Six World Boxing Classic, a round-robin style tournament featuring six of the best super middleweights in the world.

There’s a touch of irony in this matchup being Abraham’s first draw in the super middleweight series. Taylor represents one of two lineal middleweight champions during the Armenian’s alphabet title reign, a reminder of the road block he meant when longing to reach beyond the number two spot to which he was relegated for years. [details]

WTF took him so long?

Comment

Wish the Pavlik fight woulda happened before AA moved up. But I think he can win the tourney, tho I'm pickin Kessler.

Comment

Pavlik/Abraham not happening is one of the great disappointments of this decade. Both men conceivably could've stopped the other. I'm proud of both with Pavlik facing dangerous Paul Williams, but I have more respect for Abraham in this tourney. Not an easy fight to be had, but I think Arthur comes out with a KO win in the first round. Dirrell is the big mystery in this tournament, and should he be found wanting after Froch measures him, then Abraham is the number 2 guy for me. I miss the days when Abraham rocked the smurf hat and themesong, but I'll take a quality fighter over that any day.

Comment

war arthur!

Comment

I agree Pavlik/Abraham had two years to fight each other and didn't do it. Such a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Marvelous View Post
              I agree Pavlik/Abraham had two years to fight each other and didn't do it. Such a shame.
              hey if jones and bhop are rematching after all theses years these 2 can still fight each other...... I have hope.

Comment

Working...
              X