No announcement yet.

Katie Taylor voted most admired Irish athlete

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katie Taylor voted most admired Irish athlete

For those saying women's boxing didn't gain any momentum after the Olympics.

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/oth...nounced121312/

Olympic Gold medallist , Katie Taylor has jumped from rank 8th to 1st to assume the status as Ireland’s most admired sports personality overall, according to the latest Onside Star Monitor 2012, released by leading marketing consultancy Onside Sponsorship.

Taylor has replaced Brian O’Driscoll, who had topped the Onside poll since 2009, with 1 in 4 of those naming their most admired sport star overall singling out the new Olympic Champion. Registering the highest levels achieved by any sports star in the Most Admired Sports Star Overall category of the Onside tracker over the past 5 years, Taylor’s appeal was most marked among Irish 25-44 year olds at 30%, while a high of 29% of adults in Munster named the Bray based boxer.

Other personalities growing their place at the top end of the ongoing survey included Ronan O’Gara and Henry Shefflin, while golfers Rory McIlroy and Padraig Harrington remained in the Top 10 of the Onside leaderboard, albeit both losing some ground as Taylor dominated the summer headlines.

John Trainor, Founder and Managing Director of Onside said, “ In real terms, an extra ˝ million Irish adults now see Katie as the most admirable personality in Irish sport when compared with 2011, and with this growth she has managed to unlock real potential around her marketability in the future.”

Interestingly, recently retired Irish international goalkeeper Shay Given leapfrogged Robbie and Roy Keane to earn the recognition as the Irish personality admired most in Soccer overall. Ireland team-mate Damian Duff, who also recently hung up his international boots, also increased his performance in the Onside survey by 8% year on year, while Richard Dunne increased his appeal by 7% year on year. Meanwhile Robbie Keane admiration levels in the soccer space returned to 2008 levels and were almost half those compared to 2011.

That's good to hear she is getting recognition.

Where did Canelo rank on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by Young Money View Post
      That's good to hear she is getting recognition.

Where did Canelo rank on the list?
      LOL>

I can't believe Brian WAR MAGEE didn't get any love? He's probably Ireland's best boxer right now. . Outside of female boxing obviously.

Well, Frampton has the best potential.

Either way, female boxing = good for boxing too.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
        LOL>

I can't believe Brian WAR MAGEE didn't get any love? He's probably Ireland's best boxer right now. . Outside of female boxing obviously.

Well, Frampton has the best potential.

Either way, female boxing = good for boxing too.
        Andy Lee and Matthew Macklin are Irelands best boxers right now. They can have a Macklin vs. Lee fight in croke park and sell that **** out.

When Katie was fighting for the gold in Women Boxing like almost every single person in Ireland was watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayweather41-0 View Post
          Andy Lee and Matthew Macklin are Irelands best boxers right now. They can have a Macklin vs. Lee fight in croke park and sell that **** out.

When Katie was fighting for the gold in Women Boxing like almost every single person in Ireland was watching it.
          WEren't both actually born outside of Ireland, though? And have English parents? One even lives in USA. I thnk Magee has the most true Irish roots, and has stuck by them throughout his boxing career.

I also think Magee is better. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the wrong end of a decision against Kessler. Or at least makes a very good fight. I would love a Lee/Macklin fight, though.

I think Frampton definitely has the most potential to be Ireland's best.

Comment

WEren't both actually born outside of Ireland, though? And have English parents? One even lives in USA. I thnk Magee has the most true Irish roots, and has stuck by them throughout his boxing career.

I also think Magee is better. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the wrong end of a decision against Kessler. Or at least makes a very good fight. I would love a Lee/Macklin fight, though.

I think Frampton definitely has the most potential to be Ireland's best.
            Nah neither Macklin or Lee had English parents they were both born in England to irish immigrant parents though. ya i like magee and hope he wins vs kessler. Lee moved back to limerick when he was like 5 my ma is from the same town as where he came from.

Ya Carl Frampton is a badass. Jamie Kavanagh, Mark Heffron, and John Joe Nevin are also good. man for ireland for a population of about 4 million does a hell of a job of producing quality boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayweather41-0 View Post
              Nah neither Macklin or Lee had English parents they were both born in England to irish immigrant parents though. ya i like magee and hope he wins vs kessler. Lee moved back to limerick when he was like 5 my ma is from the same town as where he came from.

Ya Carl Frampton is a badass. Jamie Kavanagh, Mark Heffron, and John Joe Nevin are also good. man for ireland for a population of about 4 million does a hell of a job of producing quality boxers.
              Ahh, IC, thanks for clarifying that mate. Tyson Fury does have an English mom, though, yes?

Also another boxer who could be good in the pros is Paddy Barnes.

I agree, though, for such a tiny country, they have a lot of quality boxers.

Lol, I've also noticed that whenever there is a fist fight, or boxing match, Irishmen pop up. Even if an Irishman is not partaking in the fight. They love their pugilism!

Comment

Ahh, IC, thanks for clarifying that mate. Tyson Fury does have an English mom, though, yes?

Also another boxer who could be good in the pros is Paddy Barnes.

I agree, though, for such a tiny country, they have a lot of quality boxers.

Lol, I've also noticed that whenever there is a fist fight, or boxing match, Irishmen pop up. Even if an Irishman is not partaking in the fight. They love their pugilism!
                Not sure how Irish big Tyson is at all in reality.

Macklin is no plastic paddy. He's played Hurling for his county and has two Irish parents. That said me and a fair few of my cousins in England have parents who were born in Ireland and one of them was in an Irish bar in New York and was told: 'It is terrible what your people done to the Irish.' Probably by some sentimental old American-Irish type who was no more Irish than lucky charms.

I bet Macklin gets a lot of that! haha.

Comment

Most of Ireland's good athletes actually come from Northern Ireland. We're a very lazy race.

Comment

Working...
                  X