No announcement yet.

Clinton Woods Announces Retirement, Ends Long Career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clinton Woods Announces Retirement, Ends Long Career

The recent decision loss to Tavoris Cloud was too much for Clinton Woods, 37, to take. The British fighter officially announced his retirement from boxing after a 15-year career that saw him win the light heavyweight crown and face fighters such as Roy Jones Jr, Glen Johnson, Julio Gonzalez and others. [details]

Good decision.Don't know why he was thinking about it anywya.He clearly doesn't have it anymore.

But a good respectable fighter in his long career that brought him back from alcoholism.

Good job Clinton.

Comment

a wise move from Woods.

he did say that if he lost the title eliminator he would retire because he didn't want to go back to domestic or European level.

he got one more chance to win a ABC but come up short, he's had a decent career.

Comment

good choice
        you had a good career
        mixed it up with the best in the world time after time and were a world champion,you did well

Comment

It's the right decision.

Comment

Good decision.

Perhaps he should have fought more middleweights/welterweights in his career... 'schooled them' and then retired a 'Legend' (according to US reporting) ala Popkins.

Comment

I would be very proud to have a career like his.

Good choice Woods, enjoy retirement

Comment

Woods blessed us British fans with a great career. He may have over-achieved, but boy did he give the world a hell of a go.

I knew before the Cloud fight that Woods was not the fighter he once was, you could see clearly from the Tarver domination that he didn't possess the spark he used to carry. His heart carried him through his last few fights, but i'm glad he still got a last chance at World glory before retiring. A great decision to make.

Thanks for the memories Clinton.

Comment

Woods Retires

Following defeat to Tavoris Cloud in an IBF light-heavyweight title fight in Hollywood, Florida two weeks ago, Clinton Woods has decided to call time on his 15 year career.

The 37 year-old decided to call it a day after dropping a clear 12 round points decision to Cloud and conceding the 27 year-old unbeaten American was just too ‘fresh’ for him.

In a career that spanned 15 years Woods has won British, Commonwealth, European and the IBF light-heavyweight crown, but now feels the time has come to hang up his gloves.

Speaking to his local paper, the Sheffield Star, Woods said: "Cloud was a really good fighter and he’s young, while maybe I’m too old for that level.

"In my hey-day I would have beaten him, but I have no excuses and I think my love affair with boxing is over. I wouldn’t have chosen to have gone out with a defeat, but I never took a beating.

"Yes, Cloud did hurt me in one of the rounds, but I felt at the time that the fight was closer than it actually was.

"When I watched it on video, I thought the first six rounds were even, but it is obvious that Cloud took it over from there. It was weird because at the time I read it completely wrong. I thought I had set the pace.

Reflecting on his long and successful career Woods told the Star: "There have been more ups than downs over 15 years. Beating Crawford Ashley for the European light-heavyweight title and winning the world title against Rico Hoye were the biggest highlights, along with beating Glen Johnson. It was good while it lasted and I am happy with what I achieved."
                  Ciao Woods.

Comment

Good for him. He realizes that his time has come to an end. I Wish him the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X