How to gain speed and power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to gain speed and power?

Hello,

I desire to train to gain significant speed improvement as well as the power improvement.

Currently, I am boxing and I need that speed and power improvement in the whole body and I read a few articles about:

1) Type I (Slow-twitch) muscles
    2) Type IIa (Fast-twitch) muscles
    3) Type IIb (Faster*-fast-twitch) muscles

and that there is also Neural slow-twitch/fast-twitch nerves. In one article about the boxing, the author wrote that any weight lifts could slow me down.

As you might already have guessed I want to research more about body, how it works and to find/make workout that would train me in order to make me faster and bring more power since F = ma...

Can you link me to the articles, workouts or explain yourself how can I improve my speed and power?

Thanks so much in advance and I would greatly appreciate along with being really grateful for any of your help, advice and recommendation.

How long have you boxed?

Don't worry about all those scientific facts if you haven't boxed for too long, and I am assuming that you want to mainly focus on speed and power in movement for boxing... or maybe not, but for boxing purposes, get your technique right, and keep training at it (bags and mitts and shadowboxing).

Otherwise, for me, I believe you will have to train the body as a whole.

Go to http://www.rosstraining.com, Ross Enamait knows his stuff, and if you are convinced, get his Infinite Intensity book, he goes on about such stuff as fast twitch and slow twitch muscles... as far as I know, activating the fast twitch muscles requires you do lift something heavy, or something like that... so movements like snatch does this.

Comment

Shadowboxing to work out the movements and master your leverage and timing...then practicing those movements on the heavy bag. Work slowly at first, to get the technique down perfectly, and then add speed.

Just like with lifting, especially at the beginning of your boxing career: proper technique > trying to show off

Comment

speed is pretty much all natural. u either have it or u dont.

my best advice is to learn to work with what you have and make the best out of it.

when i first started boxing i tried to be like mayweather but it got me beat up.

find your own style and your own powers. let things come natural

Comment

this won't make u faster but it will bring out your potential:

1. think of Snakes and specificaly how they are before the strike , they're calm and still, but their strike is sudden no thought just SNAP! like watching a grenade being thrown it's silent until you see the explosion; but also think of water and wind... and how smooth it is or how smoothly the snake slithers up before taking it's prey out, keep that mentality going and think about it in a calm manner and right when u need to punch think of that snake striking and say to your self snap! you want to be calm to release that tension

2. this coincides with your mentality breathing calmly make sure your breathing is right and your focused at all times. and right when you throw that punch make sure you give swift tight exhale, but don't hold it to long think of yourself as a machine and your only bypass a enough air out your system to cope with the explosion u just let off internally,
          because your so calm you body needs to exhale to release the sudden pressure in a sense but this is when your body tightens up the most giving a successful punch

3. Now finish it, make that punch solid (this isn't patty cake) let it connect and bring it back and go back to step number one, repeat. Just make sure your still active, your calm in the mind but your feet are still moving ready to react, you do this and things will slow down while u just move faster, and that blank state on your face will scare your opponent., and it's even worse when your opponent visually registers you as unagressive until you explode.

Comment

If speed is so genetic then why do ALL those Shaolin Monks hit so fast?

Because they train all the time, and that's how you get fast.

Shaolin monks are faster than the other eastern styles because of they intensity and regularity they train with. It's somewhat genetic but that's just a head start, and anyone can learn to increase their speed by learning to relax, and through constant practice.

But speed < timing anyway.

Comment

SPEED IS NATURAL BUT U CAN INCREASE IT THOUGH....SHADOWBOX THROW LIKE 1,000 OF DA SAME PUNCH...AND USE LIGHT DUMBBELLS....THEN USE HEAVY BAG FOR POWER.......hEAVY BAG=POWER sHADOWBOXING=SPEED

Comment

dont disregard lifting though
                it will make u like paulie, got speed but no power

u can lift, but dont focus on adding weight to those weights, focus on reps while ur lifting them, and do those reps fast
                u might want to also put try this on ur feet while ur moving around or jumping rope with it

youll feel like a feather without them

Comment

For boxing speed and power you need to work with shadow boxing, cycling and running these are the things which will help you to gain stamina and speed.

Comment

Working...
                  X