Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody use a different keyboard layout other than QWERTY?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody use a different keyboard layout other than QWERTY?

I've been teaching myself DVORAK over the past few days.

And I must say... It's much easier on my wrists than QWERTY was.

And programmers DVORAK is convenient when I'm programming.

Too hard to relearn, the qwerty layout is practically a part of me. Not to mention you will never encounter dvorak on any public computer.

Comment

That would be like learning another language. I'm so use to the Q keyboard I can type when the lights are off without looking, which of course most people can do. I prefer to look anyway, when the light is on. I'm lazy like that. But I know where the keys are.

Comment

Originally posted by Miburo View Post
        Too hard to relearn, the qwerty layout is practically a part of me. Not to mention you will never encounter dvorak on any public computer.
        I'm not worried about using public computers or other peoples computers.

When I do go to the library I'm just borrowing books, not using the comp.

And if I did have to type QWERTY again, I'm still at 50 wpm touch typing.

But another 2 weeks on DVORAK I expect to be typing at least 75.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHookGarcia View Post
          I'm not worried about using public computers or other peoples computers.

When I do go to the library I'm just borrowing books, not using the comp.

And if I did have to type QWERTY again, I'm still at 50 wpm touch typing.

But another 2 weeks on DVORAK I expect to be typing at least 75.
          Tbh at those speeds I don't think the layout is that important for you. I'm entirely self taught (so I don't use the orthodox style) and type 90 errorless wpm on qwerty (and I'm considered slow).

Comment

Originally posted by Miburo View Post
            Tbh at those speeds I don't think the layout is that important for you. I'm entirely self taught (so I don't use the orthodox style) and type 90 errorless wpm on qwerty (and I'm considered slow).
            It's not so much the speed.

It's the comfort I get from typing in DVORAK.

Typing in DVORAK is SOO much more comfortable than typing in QWERTY was for me..

I've tried purchasing those ergonomic keyboards and they just didn't work, So I made the switch.

And I'm definitely not looking back.

Comment

I use ABCDEF

It's underrated

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHookGarcia View Post
                It's not so much the speed.

It's the comfort I get from typing in DVORAK.

Typing in DVORAK is SOO much more comfortable than typing in QWERTY was for me..

I've tried purchasing those ergonomic keyboards and they just didn't work, So I made the switch.

And I'm definitely not looking back.
                I ordered my Macbook with Dvorak.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                  I ordered my Macbook with Dvorak.
                  So you, me and Steve Wozniak..

Comment

I got that futuristic, year 2050 keyboard. It's a blank keyboard, There's no letters on it, no characters, nothing. You GUESS where the keys are, and the keys are touch screen. So it looks like the keyboard from smartphones but only its the size of a PC keyboard. Oh, you think you're smart, you'll remember where the keys are and just put a little sticker/mark, identifiying which letter is it? Yeah, right. You wish. It changes every day. It randomizes the keys. I learned a trick though, a trick to bypass this difficult task. But I won't say anything, I won't spoil it for you guys. Truth is, the majority of people know the trick in my time. I know how mindf-cking it sounds to you guys though. Cause when I first heard the concept of a blank keyboard that randomizes its keys daily, I too shat bricks. But you'll get it, you'll see what to do. I won't tell you though.

Comment

Working...
                    X