Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matthew Hatton hints Ricky's retirement.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew Hatton hints Ricky's retirement.

Matthew Hatton has fuelled speculation that his brother Ricky is going to retire by admitting "the spark wasn't there" when he returned to training.

The Hitman proposed comeback was plunged into doubt this week when it was revealed he has not resumed training after a short break in Tenerife - and is still believed to be on the holiday island.

Hatton's manager and father Ray has admitted he "is in the dark" about his son's future, but brother Matthew has given the strongest hint yet that a glittering career may well be over.

"He never said anything to me, but I could tell when I saw him in the gym that the spark wasn't there," he told the Tameside Advertiser.

"He said he was going to fight again and he believed that he would. But everyone is entitled to change their mind.
    Dangerous

"It is a very, very hard sport and if your heart's not in it, it can be even more dangerous."

Hatton is said to been affected by the departure of trainer and friend Lee Beard, who has gone to work in America.

But until this week, he was expected to make a return to the ring this summer, over a year after being knocked out cold in two rounds by pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.

Juan Manuel Marquez had been mooted as an opponent in what many expected to be the Hitman's farewell to his army of fans.

Skysports.com columnist and former world cruiserweight champion Glenn McCrory, a friend of Hatton's, has this week called for him to end his 47-fight career that saw him win world titles at two different weights.

Matthew meanwhile has been given a boost with the news that he will challenge veteran Italian Gianluca Branco for the vacant European welterweight title in Dagenham on March 26, live on Sky Sports and in HD.

I wanted Ricky to fight Valero @ 140. Dam that fight would be awesome

Comment

Doubt he would beat anyone decent now, he's had his glory & knows this.

Comment

He needs to call it a day...hes done...and it wasn't that bad a career ether

Comment

Is there anyone out there that wants to see Hatton get hurt? I'm sure there isn't, so the whole boxing community and general fans, agree he should retire, so why isn't he?? His family should be tying him down and focing him to do so.... Come on Ricky, you have nothing left to prove to us.

Comment

Working...
          X