Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Floyd Will Retire Undefeated — and Rich

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Floyd Will Retire Undefeated — and Rich

by David P. Greisman - Floyd Mayweather will tell you that it was an easy $32 million, at minimum, for his win over Robert Guerrero, an eight-figure payday that surpasses what Alex Rodriguez will pull in for an entire season with the New York Yankees, and an amount that does not include other streams of revenue that could raise his take to an even more obscene extreme.

He will of course go through the usual platitudes about how Guerrero is a good fighter. And that will be true, no matter how empty the compliment seems after how easy Mayweather made it look. It was another easy paycheck, not just because he remains a great fighter, nor just because he received nearly a million dollars per minute.

The easy money is made possible by the unpaid moments, by a fighter who will still push himself in the gym after an entire life spent in the sport, after more than 16 years as a pro and after earning enough riches that he could retire comfortably without ever needing to worry about another training camp, another set of fists targeting his face and jarring his internal organs.

But he does not worry in the ring. All of his hard work prepares him. It keeps him sharp, keeps him quick enough to land far more punches than he takes. That helps to preserve his body, which helps him to still be great at 36, which means he can keep that zero at the end of his record, which allows him to see another lengthy series of zeroes at the end of his paycheck. [Click Here To Read More]

Floyd is a likable guy for me now, i used to hate his guts but im slowing becoming a fan of his... He proved that anyone could change to a better person.

Comment

Originally posted by djeffectz View Post
      Floyd is a likable guy for me now, i used to hate his guts but im slowing becoming a fan of his... He proved that anyone could change to a better person.
      It was a charade to build his career , he said he dont have to do that no more he has built his fanbase , all the way along the road of 17 years the people that met him personally all said he was a good guy nothing like whats portrayed , now the public are seeing that side .

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
        It was a charade to build his career , he said he dont have to do that no more he has built his fanbase , all the way along the road of 17 years the people that met him personally all said he was a good guy nothing like whats portrayed , now the public are seeing that side .
        A good guy that beats women.

Comment

A knee to the spine?!? Damn!

Comment

After that performance, I'm starting to think that he will retire undefeated. Who is out there to test him? Canelo will be too inexperienced and too slow to compete on that level. Khan has the speed but not the chin to fight on that level. So who's left? Maybe Floyd will challenge himself and move up to fight Sergio Martinez for the undiputed Middleweight Championship. At this point, I can see him dominating Sergio. I would love to see it. The only guys I honestly see testing Floyd would be Lamont Peterson and Timothy Bradley. I love Bradley, but I don't think he's smart enough to beat him. And if Bradley could outbox Lamont, then Floyd would humiliate him. Maybe Manny would still be a threat. He has the speed and the experience at that level. After getting crushed with that right hand of Marquez, he might not be the same fighter. Only time will tell...

Comment

I find the entire situation an insulting one to the intelligence of legit boxing fans. I'm not speaking for anyone else but myself and i'm not hating. I'm strictly giving my opinion. GBP just got Khan ranked at #2 after back to back loses, before he barely even won his most recent fight. Now he's in talks to fight Mayweather. Guerrero fought Senchenko and Berto and got Floyd. Again i'm not hating, i'm just questioning how is that even possible. How many fighters been at 147 for years? Guerrero waltz's along and gets a shot?

Ortiz: Fought Lamont at light welterweight, beats berto at welterweight fights floyd.

Guerrero: fought mostly at lightweight...Had two fights at welterweight..fights Floyd

Khan: Back to back loses at 140, ranked #2, barely beat his most recent opponent..mentioned for Floyd.

Is this what we have to look forward to in the next 5 fights? I think Floyd has a hell of a lot of talent and a heck of a lot left in the tank but can we please see him fight someone who has been at 147 or 154 longer than 14 months again? I just can't justify paying money to watch him fight guys with two average fights in a division. I'd much rather watch him fight an actual welterweight one with actual extended experience in the division. Just my two cents, others are welcome to disagree.
              Last edited by turnedup; 05-06-2013, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
                I find the entire situation an insulting one to the intelligence of legit boxing fans. I'm not speaking for anyone else but myself and i'm not hating. I'm strictly giving my opinion. GBP just got Khan ranked at #2 after back to back loses, before he barely even won his most recent fight. Now he's in talks to fight Mayweather. Guerrero fought Senchenko and Berto and got Floyd. Again i'm not hating, i'm just questioning how is that even possible. How many fighters been at 147 for years? Guerrero waltz's along and gets a shot?

Ortiz: Fought Lamont at light welterweight, beats berto at welterweight fights floyd.

Guerrero: fought mostly at lightweight...Had two fights at welterweight..fights Floyd

Khan: Back to back loses at 140, ranked #2, barely beat his most recent opponent..mentioned for Floyd.

Is this what we have to look forward to in the next 5 fights? I think Floyd has a hell of a lot of talent and a heck of a lot left in the tank but can we please see him fight someone who has been at 147 or 154 longer than 14 months again? I just can't justify paying money to watch him fight guys with two average fights in a division. I'd much rather watch him fight an actual welterweight one with actual extended experience in the division. Just my two cents, others are welcome to disagree.
                i can understand that but what examples are you referencing sounds good and all but any examples?

Comment

I think the Khan situation more than any is the joke. Two losses at JWW. He wins his comeback fight against Carlos Molina and scrapes past Julio Diaz.

I'm a Kahn fan but for the WBC to then rank him the no 2 WW is a joke. Ive just checked and they DON'T even have him ranked at JWW.

Comment

There is nothing to disagree with. You're 100% right. Even though I felt The Ghost was a threat to Floyd, your assessment of the rankings and shots are indeed silly at times.

Comment

Working...
                    X