Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do robberies actually hurt boxings popularity?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do robberies actually hurt boxings popularity?

It gets said after every robbery and it seems logical, but i was thinking about it and havent there always been robberies in the sport? Even when boxing was at its most popular robberies came and went, and people still tuned in for the next fight.

Hell by the sounds of it in the old days you had the entire sport controlled by the mob.

Is it because with far more people having access to watch the fights/find footage of it, more are able to comment on what they saw rather than having to go by newspaper reports?

What do you guys think, do robberies really hurt boxings popularity?

I'm not going to pretend I know on a large scale level, but my parents and about half a dozen of my friends who watched boxing stopped because of a robbery at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      I'm not going to pretend I know on a large scale level, but my parents and about half a dozen of my friends who watched boxing stopped because of a robbery at some point.
      Interesting... I suppose also that there is so much more choice now, if boxing slips even a little in someones mind there are like a gazillion other channels to watch.

Comment

I always thought "only on casual fans eyes" since no matter the fishiness of the outcome the hardcore will always tune again......but the casuals are the biggest piece of the ppv pie and look stronger each time out, which could be attributed to modern times, technology etc.

I honestly think boxing will always be a classic sport that will go through rough patches but will come back with Marquez' tenacity and remain solid sport since its global.

Comment

Robberies due hurt the sport for casual boxing fans. Not for the hardcore fans though. Will cry about the decision for a couple of days and vent to others on here but we move on. Some of my buddies will pitch in and some won't for the next PPV fight after a robbery.

Comment

It turns people off the sport. At least for a while, until a huge fight arises that everyones talking about.

Even being a hardcore fan I've been so angry at fights I wanted to stop watching this crap. But I'm in for life.

The other thing is it really hurts the credibility of the sport, and that means a lot. You got people thinking every fight is fake because of all the BS boxing has gave us.

Comment

big turn off. and the way boxing is set up tend to lend to the thought that robbery happens all the time. NO tournament style like most sports. its jsut you fight who you fight. I knock friends who used to watch the sport and really stopped unless someone they really know are fighting.

Comment

Robberies seem to benefit USA fighter's , most who are robbed are foreign fighters Like Castillo Pacquaio or Mexican American fighters those who receive gifts are usually Black fighters like Mosley, Mayweather Peterson and sure there's more but you get my drift

Comment

It hurts some more so now because in the past people had access to only so much information, now any Joe Blow can spout off in perpetuity about decisions they didn't agree with to anyone like minded individuals.

Some people will tune out because of it, but they will usually always come back because casual fans don't watch boxing to see decisions and even the most casual fans know if you leave it in the judges hands you might just regret that choice.

Comment

The worst thing about them is they hurt fighters careers. In the commentary to the Campillo-Cloud fight where Campillo was robbed, Al Bernstein talked about 2 fights before where Campillo was on the end of some questionable decisions. I haven't seen the other 2 fights, but if Campillo should have 3 wins where he has 2 losses and a draw, that is pretty damned bad for his career, especially considering he is 34 now.

Comment

Working...
                    X