No announcement yet.

Can't Skip Worth ****!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Skip Worth ****!

I have been training in boxing and Muay Thai boxing for almost 2 years now. First I just did it for the cardio exercise and fun. Now I am serious about fighting and got a fight coming up in about a month. My coach is always on me about skipping rope. I have tried real hard to skip but I look like a complete moron every single time I attempt it. I just can't seem to get the coordination rythym thing down. I am no slouch when it comes to sparring. I can sprint as well. I just can't master this skipping rope thing. Everybody else in my gym can skip like a pro even the people that appear out of shape are good skippers. I on the other hand look like a 4 year old each time I attempt it. How important is skipping when getting ready for a fight? Has anyone else here had a hard time skipping rope when they first attempted it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

practice makes perfect, keep trying and dont be too tense when you skip, be relaxed and chill

time the movement of your arms with the jumps, trust me when i first skipped at the gym i used to jump with my knees up to my chest lol so i'd tire myself in 1 min it was a complete fail

nowadays i skip so good i laugh at myself so hard when i think of the beginning

Comment

You're probably jumping too high. You only need to jump a fraction higher than the width of the rope! Another mistake people make is putting their feet together when skipping, try to relax it a bit. Just jump and let the feet go where they go, it'll all come naturally.

It might be the rope as well. Stand in the middle of the rope and pull each handle up to your side. If you turn the handles in so they are touching your body they should touch your hips. If it is nowhere near your hips then the rope might be the problem.

As for it being important, if you can spar fine, moving on your toes and being relaxed then it's fine. Calzaghe wasn't even allowed to skip as his Father thought it was a waste of time so it can't be all that important.

Good luck man! It'll come, just keep practising and don't run before you can walk. Start slow. Even start just turning the rope at your side and jumping to get the rhythm going.

Comment

i used to be real bad now im one of the best in the gym you just gotta keep practicing

Comment

Yup Agreed with you, Practice is only way, where
          success stand

Comment

Thanks guys! I feel a little better about it now. I'm going to keep trying but I am not going to stress out about it like I have been doing. I need to focus on the fight and upcoming opponent. I am sure the judges will not care if I can skip rope or not.

Comment

Honestly I've given up on skipping I never though it helped me very much... It is a good warmup though.

Like everyone else said keep practicing you will get better. Just gotta get used to the timing.

Comment

Working...
              X