Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pernell whitaker vs floyd mayweather jr. Who wins & why?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MEXGBP View Post
    I rather watch pain dry
    yeah pain dries really slow

Comment

Sweet Pea , in a very close fight.

Comment

I like Floyd by a competitive decision. Pernell Whitaker was great, but Floyd is better and has more tools in his arsenal. For example his defence is just as good if not better, his offence is more complete, he's more powerful, he's physically bigger and he makes adjustments and adapts to his opponents better than anyone I have ever seen. Don't get me wrong though. Pernell had some abilities that could've given Floyd problems, like his movement and cat like reflexes, but Floyd would've been too much overall. I think it would be very competitive for the first 6-8 rounds, but eventually Floyd would figure him out and pull away down the stretch.
        Last edited by JK1700; 07-19-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
          Great speed is neutralized by good timing and a jab, Whitaker had them both. The best two blows from Mayweather are his left hook and lead right, Whitaker's southpaw stance and excellent defense would take those shots away. Whitaker would also clinch often before Mayweather tries to land his combination. How many times has Whitaker been hit with combos?

Mayweather would need to change styles and be the overtly aggressive guy he was at 130 to simply out work sweet pea. If the fight happens at 135 than i may give the slight edge to Mayweather. If it happens at 140-154 than i favor sweet pea.
          Why did you list the southpaw stance as an attribute that would take away Mayweather's lefthook and straight right?

Anyway I don't really know who would win between the two, I'd personally favor Floyd to win as I feel he follows up defense with attack more effeciently than Pernell.

Comment

they say floyd wooped him in sparring a couple times when floyd was still an amateur. id take floyd without a doubt

Comment

Sweet Pea..wins, Sweet Pea in his prime was way to slick, PBF's 1 2 punch combos wont cut it againts a prime Sweet Pea.

Comment

The only thing more boring than this matchup, would be a fight between Andre Ward and Chris Byrd..........

Comment

i keep going back and forth on this one. i can sweet pea winning but he tends tro get overaggressive at times because of slickness. against someone like floyd that could be very costly

the fact that pea's punching power wasn't great could cause floyd to be more agressive and would make for an atg fight imo

Comment

Originally posted by askoe View Post
                    The only thing more boring than this matchup, would be a fight between Andre Ward and Chris Byrd..........
                    no appreciation for the sweet science i see

Comment

depends on what weight

130-135 floyd

147 PW

Comment

Working...
                      X