No announcement yet.

Why was nigel benn vs RJJ never made

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boneskrieg View Post
    roy jones ducked nigel benn, chris eubank , steve collins and dariusz michalczewski. know why? cause he knew these guys could or even would rape his ass
    I dont believe Eubank could have beat jones at his peak. Because of the styles alone..You got to remember Jones was using "steriods" Steve collins I do fancy having a good go at it..

I dont think Jones Ducked Benn I just think they both knew it would be a Dangous fight

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
      Which Benn did you speak to? The humble, modest, self-effacing Benn of today or the nasty, truculent "Dark Destroyer" that was Benn in the 80s? I can imagine the above from the former, not the latter.

As for the fight - again, it kind of depends on which version of Benn we're talking about. Barring stupidity I'd back him to easily defeat the wild-swinging Benn that was stopped by Eubank and Watson. But the accurate and economical Benn that fought Gerald McClellan would be another story entirely. I think Jones, whilst still the favourite, would be very hard pressed in such a fight. I don't think I've ever seen a more furious - perhaps even maniacal - fighter in a ring than Benn on that tragic night. His drive, focus, aggression and sheer will-to-win often make me wonder whether anyone could have defeated him that evening. At the end of the fight he emitted a seemingly endless roar of pent-up hatred which seemed like something out of a Viking epic.

THAT Benn would be some test for Jones. There's no doubt that Roy had the skills to win - but Nigel had a way of taking fighters into the trenches and I'm not entirely sure that Roy would be able to overcome someone who he would practically have to kill to stop himself from being killed.
      Been was always cool out of the ring, Even in the early days..He lived a few doors up the road to me in Burges Road Eastham London..He would party in Forst Gate..A very polite guy, Always had time to stop and talk..So if you are saying he wasn't level headed in the early days trust me he was..Did he have self belief in himself damn right he did...But never cocky..Benn was lucky really to have good people round him..The only bad thing was Jimmy Tibbs
      I remember at the time when he was thinking about taking on Jones and quite a few people where saying that he should leave well alone..

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
        Im not sure why it didnt happen but my pick would be Roy Jones and i think he'd have looked devastating doing it! But it never happend and now we have to speculate

I spoke to Benn about it, i said it was a pitty he never got a Jones fight and his reply was - Nah it was a blessing he'd have killed me! (or words to that effect!)
        This was back when Roy was on top
        That sounds about right

Comment

Originally posted by typeone View Post
          Been was always cool out of the ring
          Really?

Comment

Really?

lol Yep Eubank had to the most anoying person you ever come across at the time..I never said he didnt have pride...Pride is what got him through his fights..

Great post though m8..cheers for this

Comment

How often do these huge intercontinental matchups happen? Benn was probable a bigger draw in England then Roy was in the US for the fight to really maximize its earning potential it would of had to be in England. Can you really blame the #1 pound for pound fighter for not wanting to travel to England?

Either way Roy was only at super middle for a year before moving up so the time frame was small.
              Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 03-26-2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boneskrieg View Post
                roy jones ducked nigel benn, chris eubank , steve collins and dariusz michalczewski. know why? cause he knew these guys could or even would rape his ass
                Nuthug Eurofrauds much?

Comment

Really?

Lol these guys were the dogs bollocks!

Always was and will be a Benn man but over the years ive grown to like Bank, what a character and one hell of a fighter. Benn is a Fighter tho a real fighters fighter he's what we or at least i, want and expect our champions to be like

Comment

Working...
                  X