any right handed southpaws on here??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right here. awesome thread

Comment

There is no short cut. You just have to develop your left hand. The left is too critical of a weapon as a southpaw for it to be neglected. Here are some tips:

- Before power or speed is relevant, you have to be able to land the left. That starts with footwork and proper angles. Properly setting up straight lefts with footwork can make landing them easy against a righty to the point where even if they aren't powerful, they have to respect them. See Pacquiao all night against De La Hoya for example or 4:18 in the video below to be exact.

Practice stepping your lead right foot to the right and throwing this left in rhythm. Throwing this punch in rhythm with your foot movement will weaken it but again, it will land frequently. Getting this down will help lay the foundation to other, more powerful left crosses and hooks.

- Now for landing more powerful lefts....Practice, Practice, Practice throwing straight lefts and hooks over and over again on the heavy bag. Start slower focusing on getting the rhythm as fluid as when you throw rights, then work on speed and power. Also work on angles. Practice throwing the straight left cross or left hook feet planted, fast and powerful ONLY when your lead right foot is on the outside of the bag. Develop an instinctive habit where you automatically throw a left the moment your target gets left of your center in line with your left.

- No matter how much you practice, your left hand will still be slower and less powerful than your right since you're naturally a righty. Another way to compensate for this, is with throwing your left as STRAIGHT and as IMMEDIATE as possible. NO loading. NO telegraphing. Go from point A to point B and nothing in between.

TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN, throwing your left cross DIRECTLY from your chin (defensive position) DIRECTLY towards your target. It will make it deceptively quicker and powerful. Much more likely to catch them off guard. Then it doesn't have to be the most powerful shot to be effective.

- Lastly, develop throwing your straight left like a jab when you slip punches to YOUR right. Example, your orthodox opponent throws a straight right, you'll want to slip to your right. Instead of just slipping the punch, throw your straight left like a jab. When you throw it right, your left shoulder hit your ear which positions your left arm against your chin as a shield for that in coming right. I oftentimes snap this jabbing straight left automatically whenever I slip my head to my right.

CAUTION: Don't do this if you don't have the proper angle/positioning. If your lead right foot is on the inside of your orthodox opponent's lead foot, his right will likely still connect with your chin. You're better off ducking the right at this point.

That's why everything with the left starts with proper footwork and positioning.
      Last edited by mconstantine; 01-03-2013, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I don't feel comfortable fighting orthodox. I feel like I'm leaving myself wide open and slow.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Dempsey View Post
          hi guys,
          I'm a right handed southpaw, I've tried orthodox but I prefer right hand/foot forward as I can move more fluidly and dart in and out quicker.

Anyone else a right handed southpaw?

How did you get better at the straight left? Whenever I throw it in sparring I seem to over commit and leaves me off balance and open to right hook to the body. Being my weaker hand it seems slower to so I can't shoot it back n forth like my right.
          I am a right handed southpaw. There is a video on my YouTube channel of me training a professional fighter that is a right handed southpaw working and developing his straight right hand. Go to my YouTube channel and search "Adam Kayoom"

Comment

BTW...it is absolutely smart to fight with your dominant hand front. Right handed fighters who fight orthodox have to take the time to develop their left jab or they too will be a one handed fighter correct? Of course. You have to develop your weak hand either way. Fighting with your dominant hand forward gives you the advantage of having your most powerful and fast hand, also be your most active hand and the one closest to your target at all times.

Comment

Sorry for sounding ignorant but how can you be a southpaw if your left is weak? both hand and foot?

Comment

You have to keep throwing it to get it better. It's the only way.

Comment

Originally posted by rampant View Post
                  Sorry for sounding ignorant but how can you be a southpaw if your left is weak? both hand and foot?
                  anyone help me out here?

In my very black and white way of looking at things you are either left handed / footed or right handed / footed or you are ambidextrous (spelling)

So you fight south paw, orthodox or you can be a switch hitter, not sure why you would try to make it more complicated.

Surely your going to struggle with the basics here, If you struggle with the basics your going to take along time to improve, that's if you actually intend to box..If not guess it doesnt really matter.

Comment

Originally posted by rampant View Post
                    anyone help me out here?

In my very black and white way of looking at things you are either left handed / footed or right handed / footed or you are ambidextrous (spelling)

So you fight south paw, orthodox or you can be a switch hitter, not sure why you would try to make it more complicated.

Surely your going to struggle with the basics here, If you struggle with the basics your going to take along time to improve, that's if you actually intend to box..If not guess it doesn't really matter.
                    It's not complicated. It's a simple matter of risk/reward.

The risk of a naturally right handed fighter fighting southpaw is no one respecting his power hand IF he doesn't develop or throw it.

The reward is that fighter has his most powerful, fastest and accurate hand front and center, closest to his target. It is also the most active hand.

It's just that simple. And as I said before, you can work on developing the left hand so that opponents have to respect it.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
                      It's not complicated. It's a simple matter of risk/reward.

The risk of a naturally right handed fighter fighting southpaw is no one respecting his power hand IF he doesn't develop or throw it.

The reward is that fighter has his most powerful, fastest and accurate hand front and center, closest to his target. It is also the most active hand.

It's just that simple. And as I said before, you can work on developing the left hand so that opponents have to respect it.
                      Thanks makes sense sort of, but doing this would probably mean you have to throw more combos to implement the power shots, most powers shots are from the drive and twist of the hips from the strongest hand? backfoot?

I get what your saying, just making things more difficult unless you are actually good with both hands/feet.

Most times I watch boxer switching to their unfamialir stance they get caught or switch back fairly quickly, IMO I think you have to me more naturaly gifted to be able to pull it off, practice will help and may make it like natural but IMO it will always be forced to a certain extent.
                      Last edited by rampant; 01-04-2013, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X