No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Archie Solis-Edgar Sosa III: Getting Back to Yesterday

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Archie Solis-Edgar Sosa III: Getting Back to Yesterday

by Cliff Rold - This Saturday, while most boxing fans in the U.S. still have their attention turned to the latest chapter in the Bernard Hopkins Methuselah Chronicles, a pair of old rivals will lock horns for the third time. Airing on UniMas (the former Telefutura), we’ve got a twilight showdown between former 108 lb. titlists Edgar Sosa (47-7, 28 KO) and Ulises Solis (35-2-3, 22 KO).

Fans of smaller fighters know this should be a good one. Even the most ardent may be scratching their heads and asking, ‘when did I miss their first two fights?”

Unless one was making the rounds at local Mexico City cards in the early 00’s, it’s a fair question. Both men have accomplished much in their careers. They were co-reigning titlists during part of the last decade. Sosa made 10 defenses of his WBC crown from 2007-09. Solis defended the IBF diadem eight times from 2006-09.

Since 2009, Sosa has fallen shy in challenge for glory at 112 lbs. Solis regained his IBF belt but was stripped due to injury last year. At their peaks, there was no unification clash between the two Mexican battlers. There seldom are such affairs in the lowest weight classes (not that there are a ton higher on the scale).

Sosa probably had the stronger title reign in terms of opposition. Solis could always point to a pair of results that said he was the man. Who could have known just what they were seeing when those results came in?

On Cinco De Mayo 2001, a 6-0-1 Solis won a six-round split decision over a 5-0 Sosa. On boxing’s observed Mexican Independence Day weekend in September 2003, they squared off again. By then 14-0-1, Solis managed a 12-round majority decision for the Mexican Light Flyweight title over a 12-4 Sosa. [Click Here To Read More]

Winner fights canelo

Comment

this is the bout I watch, forget hopkins....it's free on Channel 43, Direct tv...I pick Sosa...

Comment

Working...
      X