Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has the cure for AIDS been found already?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
    or to a lesser extent, the means to control the virus' activity?

earvin johnson doesn't appear ill at all... on the contrary, he looks pretty healthy 20+ years on after announcing he had the virus...

any ideas?
    Here is Magic's doctor, time magazine's man of the year in 1996 for his medical reseach.

Haven't been following up any new development in this particular field but I hope they have figured out a vaccine or something to control it.

Comment

Talip's thread made me curious, so here's what I found so far.I have to go to work in an hour, will do some more research later.

David Ho: The Man Who Could Beat AIDS

By Alice Park Monday, Jan. 25, 2010

inShare

Henry Leutwyler for TIME

Ho with a model of the antibody that he believes may prevent HIV infection.
      Related

Person of the Year 1996: David Ho
      Access to Life
      Africa's AIDS Crisis

Email
      Print
      Reprints

Follow @TIME

Dr. David Ho was sitting in the audience during an AIDS meeting in 2007 when the presenter flashed a cartoon onscreen to make a point. Along with his colleagues, Ho chuckled at the image of a blindfolded baseball player swinging mightily at an incoming pitch. But as amused as the scientists were, they were sobered too; they knew that the player in the cartoon was them. A swing and a miss, the image was saying, one of many in the long battle against AIDS.

Ho certainly got the message. For nearly a quarter of a century, he and other AIDS scientists had been whiffing repeatedly, failing to make contact as HIV stymied them again and again. Powerful drugs to foil HIV could do only so much. To corral the epidemic and truly prevent HIV, only a vaccine would do. The problem was that no vaccine strategy had ever succeeded in blocking the virus from infecting new hosts, and that wasn't likely to change in the near future. "It struck a special chord with me," says Ho of the baseball image. "I think it accurately pictured our chance of success. We all felt that frustration."
      (See the top 10 medical breakthroughs of 2009.)

Since that meeting, much has changed, but the fundamental problem of developing an effective AIDS vaccine remains. On the positive side, in 2009, scientists announced that they had developed the first vaccine to show any effect against HIV infection — although that effect is, by all measures, modest. The vaccine's ability to reduce the risk of new HIV infection 31% is nowhere near the 70% to 90% that public-health experts normally view as a minimum threshold for an infectious-disease vaccine. Even further behind in development, but still promising, are two new antibodies identified by a group of researchers working at a number of labs that, at least in a dish, seem to neutralize the virus and thwart attempts to infect healthy cells.

The excitement over those advances, however, has been tempered by the still raw memories of a humbling retreat in 2007, after a highly anticipated shot against the virus was deemed a failure. While nobody expected spectacular results, neither did anyone expect such a stunning defeat, and the scientific community is still struggling to recover from it. "We are still a long ways away from having an effective HIV vaccine that physicians can reach into the cabinet and pull out in a vial and inject into a person," says Dr. Bruce Walker, an HIV expert at Harvard Medical School.
      (See the top 10 scientific discoveries of 2009.)

That may be true, but Ho, who has been working to develop an HIV vaccine of his own, now believes that a traditional shot, one that relies on snippets of a virus to both awaken and prod the immune system to churn out antibodies, may not be the best way to fight HIV. Rather than expecting the body to do all the work of first recognizing then mounting an attack against the virus, why not just present the body with a ready-made arsenal of antibodies that can home in on HIV? It's the immunological equivalent of a frozen dinner; the already cooked antibodies eliminate all the hard work of prepping and priming the immune system to do battle.

It's a bold strategy and one that has never been tried before in the AIDS field, but Ho is willing to stake his reputation and that of his nearly 20-year-old facility, the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center (ADARC) in New York City, on his hunch. So is the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which has steered nearly $7 million his way to pursue the theory. Ho has redirected more than half of his lab to the project, and the results so far have reignited his passion for discovery; he's now back at the lab bench overseeing experiments.

Ho can't help breaking into a grin whenever he discusses the new project, and smiles haven't come easily to him of late. In the 1990s, he and ADARC established themselves as leaders in the AIDS field by pioneering the early use of the antiretroviral (ARV) ****tails that have reduced the death rate from AIDS (for which Ho was named TIME's Person of the Year in 1996). But in recent years, the center has suffered a series of setbacks, including a scientific paper that required a partial retraction, and the departure of key scientists. These challenges have some in the field wondering whether ADARC — and its golden-boy director — are on the verge of the next big breakthrough in AIDS or are wandering down yet another detour in the long and maddening fight against the disease.

First Responder
      Whatever successes Ho does or doesn't have ahead of him, he long ago earned his credentials in the AIDS field. As a physician at the University of California, Los Angeles, in the early 1980s, he began keeping a diary of patients who were rushed to the emergency room with a mysterious amalgam of symptoms such as pneumonia, cancer and, most important, a devastating drop in immune function. After a few months, he noticed a pattern: most of the patients were gay men. Intrigued, he became nearly obsessive about chronicling the growing wave of cases. Within two years, Ho and the rest of the world would know that they were seeing the first cases of AIDS.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...#ixzz2Jks9viG9

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
        africa is one of the least populated areas in the world so why exactly do they need population control.
        There are about 1.3 Billion Africans.

Originally posted by chav View Post
        This is not a "maybe", this is pretty much a fact. Lack of education, lack of available condoms and a deeply religious region mean birth control takes a back seat
        Wow I can't believe someone actually typed this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Haynes View Post

Wow I can't believe someone actually typed this.
          ]

Elaborate...?

Great Article BTW Kadyo

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Haynes View Post
            in 11,700,000 square miles

asia 4-5 billion in 17,200,000

europe 700-800 million in 3,900,000

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
              that's bull**** repeated by idiots.

first company to develop a cure would A. make bank and B. significantly hurt their rivals who wasted tons of money on their now not needed cures/treatments.
              Hmm do I

A: give someone a cure and make a little money off of it for that one time

Or

B: feed them drugs for the rest of their life while making money

I find it funny people actually believe those behind the scenes actually are good people who care for the welfare of others. They want MONEY!!!!

Comment

With proper medication one can prevent HIV from ever developing into AIDS, and I believe keep their viral load to a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                  Hmm do I

A: give someone a cure and make a little money off of it for that one time

Or

B: feed them drugs for the rest of their life while making money

I find it funny people actually believe those behind the scenes actually are good people who care for the welfare of others. They want MONEY!!!!
                  No, you're a fool. You act like the person making the "cure" would be the same person collecting all profits from anti-hiv meds and all scientists are colluding. The ones who want money are better served doing diabetes research. The reality of HIV is that it inserts itself into a person's dna, so if you wipe the virus out, it will be reconstructed by a person's cells. A vaccine which prevents a person from becoming infected is promising, or injecting an infected person with resistant T-cells that will be replicated when HIV wipes out the person's normal T-cells is another possibility, but a traditional "cure" isn't a reality at this point.

Comment

I think theirs a cure for Cancer and Aids but theirs just too much money made in treatments plus its kinda sadly population control. I think the government has it hidden only for multimillionaires like magic Johnson.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
                      I think theirs a cure for Cancer and Aids but theirs just too much money made in treatments plus its kinda sadly population control. I think the government has it hidden only for multimillionaires like magic Johnson.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                      But not Steve Jobs?

Comment

Working...
                      X