Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Jermain Taylor is Not Wlad Klitschko

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Jermain Taylor is Not Wlad Klitschko

by David P. Greisman - Get dropped. Survive. Win.

Amir Khan did it against Marcos Maidana. Miguel Cotto did it against Ricardo Torres. Juan Manuel Marquez did it against Michael Katsidis.

And Jermain Taylor did it against Caleb Truax.

This is what great fighters must do. This is what Taylor had never been able to do before. He’d been knocked out by Kelly Pavlik. He’d been knocked down, then stopped by Carl Froch. And he’d been knocked unconscious by Arthur Abraham.

He’d never survived, never mind winning.

That is what great fighters must do, what Taylor had never done before the Truax fight. That is what gave Taylor reason to celebrate after he beat Truax on Saturday — coming off the canvas with two and a half minutes to go in the ninth round and holding on to win, both literally and figuratively.

“I’ve been knocked out four times, man. I’m not going no more,” Taylor said afterward. You’ll forgive him for forgetting the number of knockouts wrong. He was more focused on what he was getting right. “All the training I’m doing is paying off,” he said.

“I got back up and did my thing,” he said. “We worked on that all day. That’s all I’ve been thinking about was how I’m going to act when I get knocked down, if I get knocked down.”

You’ll forgive the rest of us for not getting as excited as Taylor, who seemed almost happy to have gotten knocked down, if only so he could show that he could get up. [Click Here To Read More]

ummm Maidana never dropped Khan

Comment

Calzaghe vs Jones could have been another.

Comment

it did happen against khan when reffering to maidana (maidana got dropped) then got up and won on everbody elses card.....except the judges. thats what he meant.

Comment

Taylor is/was one of my favourite fighters. This story is so sad. He's becoming delusional.

I'm afraid the Jermain Taylor story won't get a happy ending.

Comment

I think Tito Trinidad holds the record of get dropped, survived and win. I think he did that in 5 championship bout, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
              Taylor is/was one of my favourite fighters. This story is so sad. He's becoming delusional.

I'm afraid the Jermain Taylor story won't get a happy ending.
              I agree, I mean there's no other way to describe his post fight interview.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
                I think Tito Trinidad holds the record of get dropped, survived and win. I think he did that in 5 championship bout, if I'm not mistaken.
                Trinidad was impressive in that regard, but it's not a record I'm sure. Back in the old days with longer fights and rarely any premature stoppages I'm confident that you can find many fighters surviving KD's to win on multiple occasions. I know that the guy in my avatar did it many many times.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                  Trinidad was impressive in that regard, but it's not a record I'm sure. Back in the old days with longer fights and rarely any premature stoppages I'm confident that you can find many fighters surviving KD's to win on multiple occasions. I know that the guy in my avatar did it many many times.
                  I agree, it was a hyperbole, maybe I should added "in recent times" but then again, I'm not so sure. Not a boxing history buff either like yourself.

Comment

Maidana didn't drop Khan.

And Taylor has been knocked out 3 times not 4

Comment

Working...
                    X