No announcement yet.

Was Mike Tyson Jack Dempsey 2.0

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Mike Tyson Jack Dempsey 2.0

I want to know the opinions of this forum. Was Mike Tyson a much bigger, stronger, faster and harder hitting version of Jack Dempsey?

Dempsey not as much. More like a Floyd Patterson 2.0 and with a better chin.

Comment

Dempsey was Tyson's hero. The reason Tyson wore no socks! Ha ha

Stylistically they weren't exactly similar though. But both closed the ring very quickly and were vicious punchers. Both fast starters too.

As previously mentioned, Tyson had the 'peek a boo' style that Floyd Patterson also adopted........and yes Tyson had a better ability to hold a punch. But Tyson too was for the most part a faster starter than Floyd.

Comment

i wouldn't even say that they have similar styles

dempsey was flat out crude compared to tyson

and even though he was a fast starter, dempsey could go rounds if he had to

tyson was very technical and fast and a brutal puncher early, but he gassed out.

i also think dempsey is a tad overrated by some, and unless he showed me something i'm missing i think he'd get knocked out by tyson early.

they say tyson fought some bums, and he did fight some questionable opposition,
        but dempsey fought some real bums before he became a champion

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
          I want to know the opinions of this forum. Was Mike Tyson a much bigger, stronger, faster and harder hitting version of Jack Dempsey?
          Stronger, faster, and harder hitting are debateable, but Dempsey was a couple inches taller than Tyson and had a much longer reach. Tyson had about 20 pounds on Dempsey. For all intensive purposes, they were about the same size.

Stylistically, as has been mentioned, there were a lot of differences between the two.

Comment

Working...
          X