No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jimmy Lennon Jr. Finally Gets His Day in The Sun

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Jimmy Lennon Jr. Finally Gets His Day in The Sun

By Mitch Abramson - The first big fight that Jimmy Lennon Jr. ever announced was Mike Tyson vs. Buster Douglas in 1990 in Tokyo, Japan. It was perhaps the most significant upset in boxing history and as Lennon entered the ring to announce the decision- a shocking tenth-round knockout for Douglas, it was eerily quiet in the arena of some 35,000 fans. Describing the reason behind the solemn mood, Lennon said: "The Japanese tend to be a quiet and respectful audience.”

That reference would seem to describe Lennon Jr. as an announcer, as well: always deferential and considerate to the fighters, fine with blending into the chaotic background- but always fastidiously prepared, always eloquent and clear with his decisions. A former high school social studies teacher and head master, Lennon is best known for being the “other” famous ring announcer in boxing, next to that “Let’s get ready to rumble” guy, Michael Buffer.

Lennon also has a catchphrase- “It’s Showtime,” a moniker that seems to fit him like the tuxedos he wears on fight night- quick, to the point, not at all overly self-indulgent.
    For the past 31 years, Lennon has been announcing fights, a job that has taken him to 32 different countries- he just returned from working a featherweight title gig in Jamaica involving WBA champ, Nicholas Walters on Dec. 18. That gave Lennon 867 title fights, an almost inconceivable number. [Click Here To Read More]

he is very classy indeed.

Comment

Lennon Jr. is a class act. I speak Spanish and I was blown away by his ability to combine English and Spanish (PERFECTLY!) whenever necessary to do bi-lingual pre-fight introductions. I also clearly remember his father's announcing prior to big fights back in the 60’s and 70’s. - When Jimmy Jr. first appeared on the scene I thought, wow!, he has his father’s same exact voice!

Comment

Jimmy Lennon jr. ...because they still haven't figured out how for Michael buffet to be two places at the same time. Haha... Jk. He's good too.

Comment

I prefer him to Buffer in general.

But, if I am super hyped for a fight, then I always do Buffers intro along with him and it's awesome.

Comment

lennon jr is class class class.

he deserves this.

Comment

Originally posted by kokingbill View Post
              Jimmy Lennon jr. ...because they still haven't figured out how for Michael buffet to be two places at the same time. Haha... Jk. He's good too.

Comment

Classy Jimmy! He deserves it!

I also like both the Buffer's and that one white dude with dreds!

Comment

Originally posted by WESS
                  Classy Jimmy! He deserves it!

I also like both the Buffer's and that one white dude with dreds!
                  The white dude with dreads is a G. First time I saw him, me and my bro were like wtf?! Is this serious? And Idk its like his voice doesn't fit his face either.

The UFC Buffer sucks IMO tho, he just screams, its damn lame. Its not like his bro and Jimmy, they have a flow when they announce.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Can't stand Buffer he sounds like a barker at a circus and he cheapens the event. Lennons were both excellant and serious and get to the particulars very nicely. I remember Johnny Addi sp) and thought he was great!

Corner/City & State(country)/trunk colors/ weight/record/ (titles if any) Name (then last name again) To the point, no yelling, all serious business. Cause it is! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X