• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Frazier vs Prime Evander Holyfield

Interesting fight.

With a ton of fireworks.

Who wins?

VS

First class punch-out with Frazier outworking Holyfield down the stretch to eek out a close decision. There's very few Heavies I'd pick to outwork Holy.....Frazier's one of them.

Poet
    mrbig1 mrbig1 likes this.

Comment

Paulie Malignaggi @PaulMalignaggi
      @TheFightSource hmmm good one...frazier

Comment

Damn good fight between i think two of the most underrated heavyweights of all time. I think head to head they both beat Holmes who people have at #2 and 3 of all time.

Damn good match up. Evander is a terrible match up for guys like tyson and frazier since he's the bully on the inside. But unlike tyson frazier is a cardio machine who would keep throwing this would be a ATG classic fight that will be very controversially scored with a split decision victor imo. Depends whose night it is on that specific night. If they fought 10x i think they'd win 5 a piece.

Comment

Originally posted by -2 Scrappy- View Post
          Damn good fight between i think two of the most underrated heavyweights of all time. I think head to head they both beat Holmes who people have at #2 and 3 of all time.

Damn good match up. Evander is a terrible match up for guys like tyson and frazier since he's the bully on the inside. But unlike tyson frazier is a cardio machine who would keep throwing this would be a ATG classic fight that will be very controversially scored with a split decision victor imo. Depends whose night it is on that specific night. If they fought 10x i think they'd win 5 a piece.
          In this matchup it's Frazier who's the bully on the inside. Tyson was never an inside fighter and never liked being in there. Inside is Frazier's home turf. Evander's best bet is to try and force a mid-range fight and give Joe angles. Make Joe reach to land the left hook and counter over the top with right hands. Easier said than done, though, even for Evander.

Poet
          them_apples them_apples likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
            In this matchup it's Frazier who's the bully on the inside. Tyson was never an inside fighter and never liked being in there. Inside is Frazier's home turf. Evander's best bet is to try and force a mid-range fight and give Joe angles. Make Joe reach to land the left hook and counter over the top with right hands. Easier said than done, though, even for Evander.

Poet
            Evander has that Hopkins craft though of making it real messy on the inside. And with evander I think being the bigger guy I think what makes this close is Evander holding and headbutting on the inside which will help him create some distance to box which we both agree he wins that kind of fight. But Frazier like I said sick ass cardio will keep coming since he's a master of cutting you off so the times evander does have to box hed have to make the most of them.

Comment

Evander has that Hopkins craft though of making it real messy on the inside. And with evander I think being the bigger guy I think what makes this close is Evander holding and headbutting on the inside which will help him create some distance to box which we both agree he wins that kind of fight. But Frazier like I said sick ass cardio will keep coming since he's a master of cutting you off so the times evander does have to box hed have to make the most of them.
              You know, Evander's best weapon against Frazier other then the counter right might well be the right hand lead in lieu of the jab. It would allow him to get some shots in before Frazier can get into his ribcage. Still, I see this as being a classic war where the winner is the guy that puts in the most work. No early KOs that's for sure.

Poet

Comment

As even a fight at heavyweight as I can imagine. I'd go Frazier by decision just off bias.

Comment

I don't know about prime Holyfield beating prime Holmes.

Prime Holyfield met grandfather Holmes and had a tough night, certainly lost a few rounds too. If you'd imagine a 12 years younger Holmes in there with Holyfield, the result is a no brainer.

Comment

As for Frazier vs Holyfield: Over 12 rounds I'll eak a close decision win for Holyfield, over 15 I'd sway to a close decision for Frazier.

Prime Frazier is near as dammit impossible to decision over 15 rounds (I struggle to think of a heavyweight who could; Dempsey? Marciano? Possibly, but I wouldn't be at all confident). Obviously If you punch like Foreman you can knock Frazier out, but I don't think Holyfield has quite enough firepower to do this.

I sway to a 12 round decision for Holyfield simply because Frazier was in comparison a slow starter. I think that Holyfield would rack up enough rounds early and maybe a couple late to steal it......but Frazier would only be getting warmed up by round 12. In comparison Holyfield never fought 15 rounds as a heavyweight......so we don't know quite how he would handle those extra 3 rounds above cruiserweight.

Comment

Working...
                    X