Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Photos: Yuriorkis Gamboa, 50 Cent Open Workout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

think gamboa will fight the winner of martinez-burgos.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cuban View Post
      Who's that one in your avatar pic?...labrada?
      The man in my avi is Sergio Oliva, "The Myth". The only Latino to ever win the "Mr. Olympia" title (three times), and one of two men ever to defeat Arnold Schwarzenegger in competition.

Lee Labrada, another Cuban, did pretty well for himself both in bodybuilding and in the nutritional supplements industry.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Man, I love it. Yuri's already getting more exposure than ever. "50" may or may not succeed at this business, but Gamboa will benefit greatly from his desire not to fail. From the little I've seen so far, these guys are on the right track.
        100% true. 50 knows a thing or 2 abour marketing, its clearly showing

Comment

The man in my avi is Sergio Oliva, "The Myth". The only Latino to ever win the "Mr. Olympia" title (three times), and one of two men ever to defeat Arnold Schwarzenegger in competition.

Lee Labrada, another Cuban, did pretty well for himself both in bodybuilding and in the nutritional supplements industry.
          Brother..is a shame for me but i didn't knew about him..I knew about lee labrada but not oliva..I research about his live and I found a lot of interest things about him..he died like 20 days ago...may R.I.P brother....I like weight lifting myself and I didn't know him but I will fix that starting tomorrow I ll tell to all my friend about this great cuban who make us proud...

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
            This is true or so it seems. I wasn't around BScene for all his previous fights so Idk if he ever held any media workouts or anything of that sort. Not only do they look to be on the right track but they seem to have some sort of close connection, that's the vibe I get from watching his other workout videos too. The way he calls 50 into the ring to take pics with him and now doing the mitts together.
            I've been following Gamboa since before I joined this forum. In fact, I joined because I was hungry for information about Yuri and the other Cubans that defected along with him. I don't recall ever seeing this much coverage on Yuri before. Some of that is because Gamboa's career simply hadn't hit that point. But, when you think of it, Yuri's career hasn't really hit that point yet either. I think it's "50's" sincere desire to succeed as a promoter that's benefiting Gamboa.

I don't know how long ago they met, but Yuri apparently started hanging out with Floyd quite some time ago, when Mayweather and Jackson were still friends. "Fitty" had (has) an almost groupie-like interest in the sport. The two must've spent considerable time hanging out, at least in the gym. As you point out, there seems to be a genuine level of friendliness between Gamboa and his new promoter. It's kind of fun to witness, since you never really see that.

Comment

Wow. I never thought 50 would be making strides in the boxing business. We've only seen a little bit of him but so far he seems like he's a fighter's promoter. Good stuff.

Comment

I've been following Gamboa since before I joined this forum. In fact, I joined because I was hungry for information about Yuri and the other Cubans that defected along with him. I don't recall ever seeing this much coverage on Yuri before. Some of that is because Gamboa's career simply hadn't hit that point. But, when you think of it, Yuri's career hasn't really hit that point yet either. I think it's "50's" sincere desire to succeed as a promoter that's benefiting Gamboa.

I don't know how long ago they met, but Yuri apparently started hanging out with Floyd quite some time ago, when Mayweather and Jackson were still friends. "Fitty" had (has) an almost groupie-like interest in the sport. The two must've spent considerable time hanging out, at least in the gym. As you point out, there seems to be a genuine level of friendliness between Gamboa and his new promoter. It's kind of fun to witness, since you never really see that.
                Lol we're on the same boat here. Except I joined a little bit later once the long layoff started cause I was itching to find out what the hell was going on with him.

I was thinking the same thing, they seem real close and how often do you see a promoter involved with a fighter like this? As far as doing activities with them in the ring. Im pretty sure the media got a good kick out of them doing some workouts together.

Comment

Brother..is a shame for me but i didn't knew about him..I knew about lee labrada but not oliva..I research about his live and I found a lot of interest things about him..he died like 20 days ago...may R.I.P brother....I like weight lifting myself and I didn't know him but I will fix that starting tomorrow I ll tell to all my friend about this great cuban who make us proud...
                  I've known about Sergio since the early eighties. But now you're the one telling me something I didn't know. I'm saddened to hear that "El Mito" is gone. He was a hero of mine when I was a kid. It's strange that I put his picture up just recently (never having done so before), and I didn't even know he had died.

Mr. Oliva was a true legend of bodybuilding. Farewell, Sergio. Thank you for the memories, and the pride you wrought in me.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
                    Lol we're on the same boat here. Except I joined a little bit later once the long layoff started cause I was itching to find out what the hell was going on with him.

I was thinking the same thing, they seem real close and how often do you see a promoter involved with a fighter like this? As far as doing activities with them in the ring. Im pretty sure the media got a good kick out of them doing some workouts together.
                    It's like "Cubanborn" said, "50 knows a thing or two about marketing." He's been a successful performer and businessman.

I don't know all that much about "Fitty", or about rap or hip-hop, but there's a level of fame that people acquire that makes them known beyond their target audience. I believe Jackson has enough notoriety that anyone associated with him will gain some notoriety themselves. As I've said before, when Gamboa was with Arum, he was just another fighter, anonymous to people outside the sport. Being "50's" fighter makes Yuri much more interesting to the casual fan. That's a good thing.

Comment

Who's that one in your avatar pic?...labrada?
                      sergio oliva...

Comment

Working...
                      X