No announcement yet.

Incorporating Weights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorporating Weights

Starting boxing around 3 months ago, I'm sparring Mondays and Wednesdays, and circuit training with my trainer Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. However I don't do any weight training there and I would like to incorporate some into my training however my sessions are normally in the evening and if I do my weights in the afternoon I'm too fatigued to workout properly at the gym later. Any suggestions on what I could do?

Your schedule is pretty tight. What do you do in the circuit training.

Comment

Incorporate weights into your circuit training you dont need to lift weights seperately or as a seperate session.

Comment

Circuits I'll do mainly resistance and body weight exercises (push ups, burpees, some bag work) and HIIT. Can I see the same size/strength gains with push ups as oppose to bench press

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by TomTelford View Post
          Circuits I'll do mainly resistance and body weight exercises (push ups, burpees, some bag work) and HIIT. Can I see the same size/strength gains with push ups as oppose to bench press

Nah to see some better strength gains u will need some weights. If I were u I'd try to get the weights in when you are doing the circuit training.

Comment

A mixture of strength and dynamic days is easily the best way to go.

You won't to be adding size, which you dont want to anyway, but you will improve strength, speed, explosiveness and overall improve athletically.

A simple example would be this;

Dynamic upper day, max lower day, spar, max upper, dynamic lower, spar, etc... (you can still do other boxing drills later on dynamic days)

Dynamic work is always prioritised for the main lift; 3 reps for bench, 2 reps for squat and 1 rep for deadlift (squat one week for lower body, deadlift the next). You rotate the weight from 40% one week to 45% the next, to 50% and then to 55% of your 1-rep-max then repeat. You rotate sets from 8, 10 and 12 on the main lift.

Max day again has the priority on the main lift. However on max days you work down from your 4 rep max to 3, 2 and finally 1 over a 4 week span. Each time you finish a cycle you will add strength and be able to lift slightly more on each progressive cycle.

Obviously from there you go into accessory work on both max and dynamic days, that accessory work being based around the required areas. Bench day will see you training shoulders, back and other upper body areas to improve maximum force and fire quickly. Then on squat and deadlift days you focus on achieving the same thing for the lower body.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06
              A mixture of strength and dynamic days is easily the best way to go.

You won't to be adding size, which you dont want to anyway, but you will improve strength, speed, explosiveness and overall improve athletically.

A simple example would be this;

Dynamic upper day, max lower day, spar, max upper, dynamic lower, spar, etc... (you can still do other boxing drills later on dynamic days)

Dynamic work is always prioritised for the main lift; 3 reps for bench, 2 reps for squat and 1 rep for deadlift (squat one week for lower body, deadlift the next). You rotate the weight from 40% one week to 45% the next, to 50% and then to 55% of your 1-rep-max then repeat. You rotate sets from 8, 10 and 12 on the main lift.

Max day again has the priority on the main lift. However on max days you work down from your 4 rep max to 3, 2 and finally 1 over a 4 week span. Each time you finish a cycle you will add strength and be able to lift slightly more on each progressive cycle.

Obviously from there you go into accessory work on both max and dynamic days, that accessory work being based around the required areas. Bench day will see you training shoulders, back and other upper body areas to improve maximum force and fire quickly. Then on squat and deadlift days you focus on achieving the same thing for the lower body.
              cheers for the replies, I'll give this a go cheers

Comment

You are in to circuit training. Therefore, you actually do not need to do weight lifting and if you are still concerned about it just talk to your trainer once and plan accordingly.

Comment

Eat 5/6 small meals including snacks, Avoid soda, diet soda and flavored juices,
                  Do take whole grains, beans, vegetables and fruits more in your diet meals...

Comment

Cheers, I've always had a good diet and never eat anything I shouldn't. Just trying to get a balance between eating enough to gain size and eating too much to avoid becoming fat!

Comment

Working...
                    X