Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the winner of Mayweather-Cotto become the 154 Ring or lineal Champion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the winner of Mayweather-Cotto become the 154 Ring or lineal Champion?

Will this fight give the division a Ring/lineal champion? If not who does the winner need to fight for The Ring or the lineal title to be on the line? I know it has to be between the #1 and #2 or in some cases #1 and #3.

#2 is Canelo, Floyd ain't rated at all, so will Floyd have to beat Cotto and then Canelo to become JMW lineal champion, or win The Ring Title, or both?

If i'm not mistaken, the last champion at 154 was Winky Wright, a long ass time ago. Now it's vacant I guess.

So can Floyd and Cotto fight for it or what? Some one explain this to me.

In a word....no

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
      In a word....no
      I knew that much, kind of.

What I don't know is, who does the winner need to fight for The Ring title to be on the line? Isn't it Canelo?

Comment

No. Cotto would need to fight Canelo for that, they're #1 and 2.

Comment

No.

Cotto is ranked #1 by the Ring.

But Mayweather is unranked.

So simply put; No, it can't be.

If Mayweather were ranked #2 by the Ring and Cotto #1 or vice versa then yes it would be for The Ring title but as Mayweather is unranked and Cotto is ranked #1 then no It can't be.

But if Mayweather were to beat Cotto I imagine he will be ranked #1 at 154 aswell as being #2 at 147. I assume, that is.

Comment

No. The next person to unify 3/4 the major titles becomes the "undisputed champ" which would in turn make him the next lineal champ.

Comment

I doubt The Ring would rank Floyd in this division, simply because he hasn't fought there since the De La Hoya fight. He'd have to beat Cotto, then beat Canelo to get the belt, if Canelo holds on to the 2 spot until then.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                I knew that much, kind of.

What I don't know is, who does the winner need to fight for The Ring title to be on the line? Isn't it Canelo?
                I'm not sure, but strangely enough I think if he were to rematch Cotto he would be The Ring Champion

Assuming Mayweather would take Cotto's #1 spot and Cotto would move down to #2.

If memory serves me correctly I think that's what happened with Castillo at Lightweight.

Comment

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
                  No. The next person to unify 3/4 the major titles becomes the "undisputed champ" which would in turn make him the next lineal champ.
                  So he just can't simply become The Ring champion by fighting Canelo who's rated #2, after beating Cotto and becoming #1 of course?

And if Canelo fights K9 for the IBF and wins, then Canelo would be the WBC/IBF champ, while Floyd would be the WBA champ, and then Floyd fights Canelo and wins, then he'd be both The Ring and Lineal champion of 154 right?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    I'm not sure, but strangely enough I think if he were to rematch Cotto he would be The Ring Champion

Assuming Mayweather would take Cotto's #1 spot and Cotto would move down to #2.

If memory serves me correctly I think that's what happened with Castillo at Lightweight.
                    Really? I would think Canelo stays right where he's at and Cotto moves down two spots. Because you also have to think about Canelo's potential win on May 5th. Why would he be moved down to make way for a loser, when he just won? I say he keeps his spot, especially if he beats a top JMW.

Comment

Working...
                    X