Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: AIBA's New Rules Will Make The Next Olympics Interesting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: AIBA's New Rules Will Make The Next Olympics Interesting

Headguards are set to be scrapped and some professional boxers allowed to compete in the next Olympic Games under new rules announced by amateur boxing's world governing body AIBA.

But the launch of AIBA Professional Boxing (APB) - set for early next year - is unlikely to mean established British stars such as Amir Khan or Carl Froch will be battling to line up in Rio in 2014.

[Click Here To Read More]

I don't know if the no headguard rule will be good for tournaments. I see lots of fighters not being able to continue to the next round even if they win due to cuts and things like that being picked up in earlier bouts. It will be interesting to see how they will work around this.

Comment

I'm not sure about allowing pro boxers to compete in olympic boxing. I realize it is a ticket seller, especially for other sports such as basketball.

However the olympic boxing program has followed a tradition which I have admired. Now young amateurs will lose their olympic opportunites to pros. I see this hurting the amateur development of young fighters.

Heck, why doesn't everybody just turn pro now, it doesn't matter if you lose your amateur statis anymore.

That's my take on this

Comment

Didn't know the next olympics were Rio 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
          Didn't know the next olympics were Rio 2014.
          Same? Thought it was every 4 years

Comment

Yeah, I hated that amateur boxing was a sport unto itself separate from the professional ring with its own strategies and nuances that really don't translate all that well to the real thing.

Boxing should remain a constant across all levels of competition and not become separated into a facet of itself.

Comment

I think it's a good divide between "amateur" an prize fighting. No issues. Lets see how many get cuts that prevent competition.

Comment

I've heard about pros being allowed before, and pro style scoring. But now way are they scrapping the headgear...

You do all this than there is nothing amateur about it. Headgear stays.

Comment

powerful move, but should give the headgear thing a 2nd thought. rather change it from 3 rounds to 5 rounds as in the WSB.

btw what will happen to the WSB...?

Comment

Rio's in 2016...what they need 2 do is get rid of the f'uped button scoring...it DOES NOT WORK...EXAMPLE: last Olympics, I watched a bout & a guy got knocked down, ref counted & @ end of the round, the punch (remember kd's aren't rewarded in this terrible system) did nnot count as only 2 judges saw the punch & pushed the button...that means 3 judges didn't see the punch...sounds like NV or FL judges...

Comment

Working...
                    X