Collapse
No announcement yet.

who's the fighter of the year so far?..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When thinking about about Pacquiao's 2009 and Martinez' 2010, it just makes me feel like not giving FOY to anyone. It's not just who they fought, but the spectacular way they beat them that made FOY no brainers. Now it just seems like we're just giving someone the "FOY prize" not because of their tremendous accomplishment in 2012, but by default.

I kind of felt that way about Ward's 2011 as well to a lesser extent. "About time! The tournament is finally finished! Uh, I guess lets just give FOY to Ward then." Ward winning FOY felt more like closure from the the drawn out tournament than anything else. While I do think Ward deserved it, none of the fights were very memorable to me. It just seems strange that someone won Fighter of the Year for fighting fights I'll only vaguely remember how they went next year.

I would have given it to Ward again if he fought more than once this year. He had his chance had he taken the Bute fight and knocked out his chinny ass. And it wouldn't have felt like a default FOY with the way he beat Dawson.

As much as I would have love to give Donaire FOY, the fights themselves weren't that great. (I don't blame Donaire for that) And it was quantity over quality in a weakish division. (It's stronger with Darchinian, Moreno, Mares, and Agbeko entering the division, but they're really top 118 ponders who haven't done anything at 122 yet)

I'm going to be a bore and just give my vote for the the Pacquiao vs Marquez winner. Pacquiao would have beaten two p4p guys if he beats Marquez, and Marquez would have beaten Manny motherfucking Pacquiao.
    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 10-14-2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

they might not give one out this year , but if i had to give it to anyone i guess donair

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
        Martinez, he continues to show why he deserves to be one of the top 3 p4p in the world. Older than everyone he fights, smaller than the guys he is fighting yet he keeps winning in impressive fashion.
        Originally posted by fundicao View Post
        Martinez , matthysse and garcia in that order
        martinez got macklin and chavez jr...nah, aint no way thats better than nonitos this year

mathysse got angel martinez (dont know who he is) olesugun and sotto..nah

garcia got khan and erik ..nah

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
          When thinking about about Pacquiao's 2009 and Martinez' 2010, it just makes me feel like not giving FOY to anyone. It's not just who they fought, but the spectacular way they beat them that made FOY no brainers. Now it just seems like we're just giving someone the "FOY prize" not because of their tremendous accomplishment in 2012, but by default.

I kind of felt that way about Ward's 2011 as well to a lesser extent. "About time! The tournament is finally finished! Uh, I guess lets just give FOY to Ward then." Ward winning FOY felt more like closure from the the drawn out tournament than anything else. While I do think Ward deserved it, none of the fights were very memorable to me. It just seems strange that someone won Fighter of the Year for fighting fights I'll only vaguely remember how they went next year.

I would have given it to Ward again if he fought more than once this year. He had his chance had he taken the Bute fight and knocked out his chinny ass. And it wouldn't have felt like a default FOY with the way he beat Dawson.

As much as I would have love to give Donaire FOY, the fights themselves weren't that great. (I don't blame Donaire for that) And it was quantity over quality in a weakish division. (It's stronger with Darchinian, Moreno, Mares, and Agbeko entering the division, but they're really top 118 ponders who haven't done anything at 122 yet)

I'm going to be a bore and just give my vote for the the Pacquiao vs Marquez winner. Pacquiao would have beaten two p4p guys if he beats Marquez, and Marquez would have beaten Manny motherfucking Pacquiao.
          based on the bold nonito should've won FOTY last year esp the way he beat montiel and given ward's win over froch and AA was no way better than montiel ..imo atleast

Comment

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
            they might not give one out this year , but if i had to give it to anyone i guess donair
            they gave one last year to ward and he only had froch and AA..not that it was bad

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
              nonito?..win over wv2 in his first fight at 122... over champion in mathebula and stopped the number 1 guy in his division in nishi....

if not name yours....
              Agree. Nonito fought for 3 belts and won all 3. Nishioka was the real WBC champ not mares

Comment

Domestically Tony Bellew, providing he wins his next fight on the froch undercard.
                Globally Martinez, he's gonna get ducked to fock now.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                  On paper, I don't see anyone else having a better year though the pace of the fights will make some wary of the choice. If he takes Arce next he'll have the sort of show closing nuclear destruction to punctuate the year.

I really hate that fight though. Just easy work.
                  If he fights arce, it'll be early next yr.

Comment

Originally posted by flipbjefrox View Post
                    Agree. Nonito fought for 3 belts and won all 3. Nishioka was the real WBC champ not mares
                    pretty much, mares was given the the wbc same way chavez junior got his..

Originally posted by ShovelThumb View Post
                    Domestically Tony Bellew, providing he wins his next fight on the froch undercard.
                    Globally Martinez, he's gonna get ducked to fock now.
                    you think macklin and chavez jr >>>>>nishioka, mathebula and vasquez jr?..and no , they all want sergio

Comment

I would say Martinez.. But according to BoxingScene Chavez JR is a "bum".. so I guess its between Nonito and Garcia

Comment

Working...
                      X