No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arthur Abraham: He Gave It a Shot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Arthur Abraham: He Gave It a Shot

by Cliff Rold - It looked like it’s just about over.

While former IBF Middleweight and WBO Super Middleweight titlist Arthur Abraham (37-4, 28 KO) managed to escape with a victory last Saturday against a very average Willbeforce Shihepo (20-7, 15 KO), he didn’t look good getting there. At 33 years of age, it’s not certain that Abraham is on the slide.

The appearance of the inevitable is there.

Once removed from the first stoppage loss of his career, in a rematch with Robert Stieglitz, Abraham’s options are fairly limited. A third fight with Stieglitz is where he has to hang his hat. The chance to redeem that loss, after winning the first fight and the WBO belt with a decision last year, is his best option.

Sure, it’s just a belt. Andre Ward remains the champion of the class. For close to a year between 2012 and 2013, Abraham and Carl Froch were the only significant beltholders in class besides Ward. Ward had already soundly defeated them both.

In terms of dollars and cents, that’s not much of an issue for Abraham. He and Steiglitz did solid business. They probably would again. If he gets the rubber match, win or lose, it doesn’t change the premise here much.

The appearance of the inevitable is there.

Never a high volume or high-speed guy, Abraham doesn’t get off as suddenly as he used to. The dramatic power hasn’t left him but the delivery of those bombs is mitigated.

It happens. [Click Here To Read More]

funniest story title ever

Comment

really good piece, AA was always one of my fav MWs after Hopkins and definitely avoided by Taylor. I reckon AA would have beaten Taylor at 160 and that opportunity was never granted to him. He then went to 168 to earn his shot at the big time, mad respect for that, most fighters, lookin at you Sturm, would have just been happy to sit and play in the championship, never even trying for that premier league title. I'll never forget the war with Miranda.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        really good piece, AA was always one of my fav MWs after Hopkins and definitely avoided by Taylor. I reckon AA would have beaten Taylor at 160 and that opportunity was never granted to him. He then went to 168 to earn his shot at the big time, mad respect for that, most fighters, lookin at you Sturm, would have just been happy to sit and play in the championship, never even trying for that premier league title. I'll never forget the war with Miranda.
        You mean the war where the Germans cheated and gave Abraham over 10 minutes of medical attention mid fight? Good fight, but Abe would have been tagged with a loss anywhere else in the world.

You cannot say he was avoided by Taylor when Jermain was busy fighting Hopkins, Wright and Pavlik, all who would have dominated Abraham at 160. His only crappy defense was Spinks and he deserved one at that point.

Comment

Abraham does clearly not have the desire any longer and yeah he basically fought them all, so there shouldn't be any regrets.

The only regret for Abraham would be if he doesn't quit now. Boxing is a tough sport. Sparring is unforgiving. He already slurs his words and that will not improve with a continuation of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
            You mean the war where the Germans cheated and gave Abraham over 10 minutes of medical attention mid fight? Good fight, but Abe would have been tagged with a loss anywhere else in the world.

You cannot say he was avoided by Taylor when Jermain was busy fighting Hopkins, Wright and Pavlik, all who would have dominated Abraham at 160. His only crappy defense was Spinks and he deserved one at that point.
            Cheating and yet you fail to mention the headbutts and the lowblows.

I'm not even gona argue nay further, I liked watching AA in his prime, he was never good but like the article said, at least he tried to achieve more than was physically capable, instead of fighting second tiers guys unlike other fighters who have made a career out of it.

Comment

Abraham is a great man and warrior. I would love for him to have a big last hurrah and KO Stiegler in a rubber match.

Comment

Basically, Abraham was a tough middleweight. Moving up to 168 in order to enter the Super Six simply destroyed his career.

Comment

Good article Mr Rold !

I too think it's time for AA to seriously think about retirement. To be honest I don't even want him to have that Rubber match as I don't see him winning it, and I'm his biggest fan. He's had a complete career, a quite good one to be honest, with ups and downs, he tested himself, shared the ring with some of the best fighters of his generation and made himself a nice fortune in the process.

His great power made up for his limited skills and passive fighting style at middleweight but the jump in weight definitely took that advantage off him. He found himself mixing with bigger, stronger fighters and overally one or two classes higher than what he had encountered at 160. He still was a warrior, never turned a challenge down and didn't pull out of the S6 when it was obvious that it was over for him. I respect him as a boxer and wish him the best in the future.

Comment

AA was never truly suited to go above MW.

Comment

Working...
                    X