Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just rewatched Oquendo vs. Vázquez Jr. I think Oquendo has some fight left in him.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just rewatched Oquendo vs. Vázquez Jr. I think Oquendo has some fight left in him.

I was rewatching the fight and, once again, was impressed by Oquendo's effort. I have always liked this guy and felt he had the potential to be a champion and one of Puerto Rico's top fighters. I still think he has the potential to win a belt even though he is close to 30.

In this fight, he showed good technique and great strength (look how easily he pushed Vázquez Jr. around early on). I think his only obstacle is psychological. The tragedy he had to live has affected him in a negative way and seems like there are some insecurity issues or something along those lines. Sure, I'm not a psychologist but it seems like the only logical explanation after he let the referee count him out when it seemed like he could continue. It's easy to judge but it's better to try and understand what Oquendo has been through before calling him a quitter. I wish the guy the best and hope he can bounce back from this fight and become a champion someday.

Was anyone else impressed with Oquendo's showing? Did anyone get disappointed?

Comment

Originally posted by Exciterx24 View Post
      Was anyone else impressed with Oquendo's showing? Did anyone get disappointed?
      I was impressed by him and Papito alike. But not too surprised by Oquendo, I knew he's pretty good. The quit job was very weak, but I wouldn't dismiss the mental factor you mentioned

Comment

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that his mind was drifting during that fight. I know Bobby Chacón had a bad experience also and he was able to overcome it but it has to be very tough on a fighter's psyche.

Comment

Working...
        X