No announcement yet.

How much can I get a guitar for?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Napalm Death View Post
    Just buy a cheap guitar to start off. There's no point spending a bomb on a nice guitar to find that learning the guitar isn't for you.
    Good advice!

The best way to get a good deal is to look through the local ads. Keep an eye out for someone with a nice guitar but needs the money. Then go and check out the guitar. Bring cash but considerbly less than they are asking. After looking at the guitar(look down the neck and make sure it is straight and everything is in working order). Then show him the cash and tell him you want it but this is all you have. I used to buy guitars and equiptment this way and sell it for twice as much. Amazing how many parents buy their kids nice name brand guitars and a year or two later it gets sold for gas and beer money.

Comment

I picked up one of these at Sam's Club for about a hundred bucks and it was pretty decent. Yamaha CGS104A, list 220, but this place has them for 140.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...20139000010000

Comment

Look at some Epiphones, great quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
          I picked up one of these at Sam's Club for about a hundred bucks and it was pretty decent. Yamaha CGS104A, list 220, but this place has them for 140.

That's a classical guitar, I wouldn't recommend learning on it (as your first guitar) unless you plan to play classical stuff.

Yamaha acoustics are very good/affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by Repeddled View Post
            That's a classical guitar, I wouldn't recommend learning on it (as your first guitar) unless you plan to play classical stuff.

Yamaha acoustics are very good/affordable.
            I stand corrected. Took a class back in High School, but never had my own. Saw that one at Sams and the price was right, but I soon realized I'd forgotten how to read music. Fooled around with it a bit, I just didn't have the time and when a friend of mine's kid was looking to learn, I gave him this as a birthday present.

One of these days I'll give it another try, I'd like to be able to play something like this:

Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 07-10-2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Depends what kind of guitar you're looking for. Guitar Center and places like that have starter kits for about 100 bucks. You can also check thrift or pawn shops.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post

Those work fine. Mine has a little different sound because the nylon strings but it is good for begining because the strings are not so close together.

Comment

Originally posted by Napalm Death View Post
                  Just buy a cheap guitar to start off. There's no point spending a bomb on a nice guitar to find that learning the guitar isn't for you.
                  Well, a nice guitar can sometimes motivate you to learn more but definetly don't go for a really expensive one. You can find a lot of used fenders, epiphone, ibanez guitars that are in great condition for half of their shop price. Lot of guitar players forums out there for opinions on brands and models.

Also if you like to think ahead, you might wanna get an electro-acoustic so you can connect that to an amp later on.

Comment

Working...
                  X