Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitting yourself in the head for 'punch resistance'?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting yourself in the head for 'punch resistance'?

Hi,

Just wonder if any of you use any types of drills such as dropping an anvil on your head etc. to condition your brain?

If so what's the benefits on this?

If not why are you against it?

I'm researching it at the moment and would like to get a few peoples opinions.

Thanks

Originally posted by Stannis View Post
    Hi,

Just wonder if any of you use any types of drills such as dropping an anvil on your head etc. to condition your brain?

If so what's the benefits on this?

If not why are you against it?

I'm researching it at the moment and would like to get a few peoples opinions.

Thanks
    strengthening your neck and sparring to improve rolling are better options.

jack Dempsey used to chew cedar gum, pretty much just pine tree sap, to strengthen his jaw.

and even fruther back they would soak their hands and face in a strong salt water mixture to toughen the skin and prevent cuts.

but better then all of that is simply improving your defense, so you dont get hit as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post

and even fruther back they would soak their hands and face in a strong salt water mixture to toughen the skin and prevent cuts.
      Does that actually work?

I cut fairly easily...But I wonder what the face would look like from soaking it in heavily salted water all day...

Comment

Dropping an anvil on your head is a proven method for improving one's ability to withstand punishment. After years of having anvils dropped on his head, Daffy Duck was later able to absorb shotgun blasts to the head, with no visible damage beyond a mis-aligned beak. He's twist it back straight on carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukr_Alex View Post
          Does that actually work?

I cut fairly easily...But I wonder what the face would look like from soaking it in heavily salted water all day...
          in jason and the Argonauts they use it on their hands to help with blisters when rowing, but it is a movie so i dont know how reliable it is.

i really dont know how effective it is, but around teh turn of the century there were still alot of boxers doing it even with the growth of gloved boxing.

Comment

as said earlier jack dempsey used to soak his face in beef blood/brine at butchers whenever he could. im not sure of the effectiveness of this.
            Last edited by VIPrice; 05-24-2014, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VIPrice View Post
              i dunno about anvils but where im from we just go into the country and use stones. need at least 2 of u, i started out on about 3 kg rocks worked myself up to 10kg at the moment. i do 3 sets of 10 reps on my left, right and forehead, dropping the rocks from about 1.5 metres.

as said earlier jack dempsey used to soak his face in beef blood/brine at butchers whenever he could. im not sure of the effectiveness of this.
              it wasnt beef blood, but a very salty beef broth.

well actually it seems like there were alot of things from wine vinegar and even horse urine, but i havnt ever herd about cow blood.
              Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-21-2012, 02:30 AM.

Comment

couldnt remember exactly but i looked it up and it was beef brine, not blood. his brother called it 'pickling.'

just looked up a little and there were a few different methods. vinegar, aparrently they used to piss on their hands after training. they also used some kind of lotion.
                "This is the pickling of the hands in a strong solution of astringents, the effect of which is to harden and roughen the skin. The lotion, which is often applied in a modified form to the face also, gives to the skin a dark and curious look"
                http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Dtimes.../article32.htm

Comment

Originally posted by VIPrice View Post
                  couldnt remember exactly but i looked it up and it was beef brine, not blood. his brother called it 'pickling.'

just looked up a little and there were a few different methods. vinegar, aparrently they used to piss on their hands after training. they also used some kind of lotion.
                  "This is the pickling of the hands in a strong solution of astringents, the effect of which is to harden and roughen the skin. The lotion, which is often applied in a modified form to the face also, gives to the skin a dark and curious look"
                  http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Dtimes.../article32.htm
                  i had read after the peters fight (i belive) Vitali was wrapping his hands in his sons wet diapers because the unrine helps the healing or something.

thanks for the link

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                    i had read after the peters fight (i belive) Vitali was wrapping his hands in his sons wet diapers because the unrine helps the healing or something.

thanks for the link
                    lol... people do some crazy **** to gain an edge. sounds like it works tho.

Comment

Working...
                    X