Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever stepped inside a boxing ring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever stepped inside a boxing ring?

There is no prerequisite to being a fan of boxing. You do not need to have boxed or even been inside the squared circle to enjoy or have an opinion about the sport.

I think it would be interesting to hear about your stories and exploits inside the ring and how they have given you a perspective as a fan.

So all boxingscene commentors please share your experiences here.

For me personally I learnt over time and hardship an appreciation, admiration and respect for all boxers through my experiences. I have been boxing and training since I was 8 years old.

I do and will always love the sport.

Watching pad work with James Degale was my pitiful highlight. It was just after he won gold at the Olympics and it was an eye opener. Seeing his fluidity and power first hand was remarkable and at the times a little scary.

I will never be and could never have been of any signifigance in real world and business of competitive boxing, nor will most who brave the hardest of sports. But I will always consider it a part of me and my life which is both positive and affirming.

Boxing has helped me and many others remain on the straight and narrow and away from the destructive and negative temptations that we all are faced with and sometimes vunerable to.

I know that many of you including me give various boxers a hard time for their performances and/or their choices of opponents but lets not lose sight of the fact that in this short life that we all have, what they do. And what they put on the line in the most literal sense, is more than most of us would risk even if we could... and thank them or at least appreciate them for their courage.

If watching boxing or doing boxing has helped you in any way, like it has for me, then I am honestly happy for you.

If you kindly took the the time to read this then I thankyou sincerely and invite you to please share your thoughts and experiences with and about the sport that we all love.

Thankyou Boxingscene and thankyou boxing.
    Last edited by luke1979; 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM.

Yeah.

Nothing too interesting happened.

Made me a little more confident I guess, and it was something I really enjoyed.

Unfortunately broke my wrist in my second fight (two right hands colliding), said to the ref I was fine, tried to use one hand, got the crap beat out of me. TKO2.

Got back into it, was looking for a fight for 4 months, repeated cancellations and what, opponents not turning up etc. Got bored and quit to worry about my education instead. Hopefully going to get back into it in July or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      Yeah.

Nothing too interesting happened.

Made me a little more confident I guess, and it was something I really enjoyed.

Unfortunately broke my wrist in my second fight (two right hands colliding), said to the ref I was fine, tried to use one hand, got the crap beat out of me. TKO2.

Got back into it, was looking for a fight for 4 months, repeated cancellations and what, opponents not turning up etc. Got bored and quit to worry about my education instead. Hopefully going to get back into it in July or something.
      Well done! You didn't quit. I think you should take confidence from that, on paper who wouldn't?

You know what you did! .... and through the passage of time, hopefully in your estimation when compared to.... and among all of things you have yet to achieve it will rank highly and gain more significance.

In that moment, observed or not by others you saw and felt, first hand what you did... and you can take pride and self respect from that.

Again, well done.

Comment

just trained/sparred. never fought pro or amateur.

love boxing, and have an even bigger respect for fighters after having got my ass beat in the ring a few times

Comment

Originally posted by luke1979 View Post
          Well done! You didn't quit. I think you should take confidence from that, on paper who wouldn't?

You know what you did! .... and through the passage of time, hopefully in your estimation when compared to.... and among all of things you have yet to achieve it will rank highly and gain more significance.

In that moment, observed or not by others you saw and felt, first hand what you did... and you can take pride and self respect from that.

Again, well done.
          Thanks. I didn't really think about what I was doing at the time.

"You okay to continue?" Said the ref and I just instinctively said "Yeah, I'm fine." It wasn't really a thought process and it was probably stupid because I tried to block something with my dodgy wrist and it was excruciating. Probably made it a lot worse.

Since I was 15 one bit of the bone was cracked and another bit actually bent back on itself as I was at the age where my bones hadn't completely hardened yet. I don't have a lot of gripping strength in that as a result and when I clench my first the left side of the wrist looks a lot different from the other normal one.

I do take a little pride in it but I think most fighters would have done the same as me, boxing attracts a certain type of people.

Comment

Me and my mates hired out a gym and filmed some pro wrestling for kicks does that count.

Comment

Yes, been in plenty of wars, and i plan to get back in there someday.

Comment

I used to train and spar but i never got to compete.i unfortunately moved away and havent found a gym near enough

I used to spar for 3 rounds and man that was exhausting.i was so tired after those few rounds i couldnt understand how pros go for 12.obviously now i know they train a lot harder and for longer than i used to.but i gained a whole lot of respect for fighters.forget the training just the diets alone are tough.

What boxing gave me most was a huge stress releiver.going to the gym helped me out so much in those times where i was full of stress.really the sport kept me sane

Comment

I've trained for about 7 -8 years off and on had a handful of amateur fights I love the sport more so being in the gym than actually watching it. Being a fan of the sport is kinda hard fights can be boring to me and its hard to keep up with everything going on in the sport.

I really love going into the gym and sparring theres nothing like it to me its really a learning experience and you get better each time. I've gone from a guy that knew 0 about boxing the first day in the gym being nervous about sparring and getting hit and going 3 rounds and coming out completely exhausted even though i was in great shape to most recently stepping in the ring calm and out of shape and being able to spar 6 rds because I am now able to keep calm and pace myself and know my fight more. Not to proud of the out of shape part recently but it happens with injuries but it also taught me how to adjust my fighting style since i wasnt as quick anymore so i take it as a learning experience.

As for my fights its a total different story than sparring i get nervous because of the crowd and it greatly affects my boxing ability. I am still trying to work on this but its been hard because i dont fight very frequently. But I really just box for fun and a learning experience and so far its been great it can get stressful too when competing and making weight but when it gets too much i find its time to take a break since I'm not trying to make a career out of it no point in getting stressed over something thats supposed to be fun. But when i do compete i give it 110% because i know regardless of whether you are doing it for fun or for a profession you can get hurt in there.

I feel like most boxing fans should have the experience of training and sparring some time just to know how demanding the sport is and have more respect for how hard some of these guys have to work just to be seen on tv fighting. I def have a new found respect for fighters of all sorts including MMA even though im not a fan through training as well as fighting in general i never really knew the damage i could do to someone by just hitting them or the damage that could be done to me until i boxed

Comment

Yea, im about to start my training camp for the US nationals

Comment

Working...
                    X