Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why did duran not go for the jr welter title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why did duran not go for the jr welter title?

any thoughts?

Same reason as Shane Mosley. They were going after big money targets (Leonard, De La Hoya) and the 140 title was relatively meaningless. Also both of them were having so much trouble making 135 that they knew they would be welters sooner rather than later.

Comment

Exactly, big money fights.

Comment

A Cervantes fight would of been incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
          A Cervantes fight would of been incredible.
          Duran would have hurt Cervantes bad.

Comment

forget the juinor this and the super that. 3-6-8 lbs etc. with the hydrating bull**** fighters are comming in at separate weights anyway. weights should be made the morning of the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by theproof View Post
              forget the juinor this and the super that. 3-6-8 lbs etc. with the hydrating bull**** fighters are comming in at separate weights anyway. weights should be made the morning of the fight.
              I have always supported same day weigh-ins.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post

Another vote here for that. But it would radically effect the divisions on a short term basis. There would be a lot of vacant titles. And you sure as hell wouldn't see Chavez Jr fighting at 160 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  They were stopped for safety reasons. Lots of lives have been saved as a result. It may have had a detrimental effect on some aspects of the fight game but it's drastically reduced the amount of blood clots, brain damage & deaths.

As for Duran & the 140 title, I just don't think he wanted the hassle of getting down in weight anymore. His goal was Leonard & Leonard was at 147. If he had been at 140 you would probably have seen him there.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
                    They were stopped for safety reasons. Lots of lives have been saved as a result. It may have had a detrimental effect on some aspects of the fight game but it's drastically reduced the amount of blood clots, brain damage & deaths.

I disagree and think same day weigh ins are needed more than ever. If a fighter chooses to put himself in danger by dehydrating himself to get to the lowest possible and obviously unsafe weight than that's on him and his team. I don't like it, but he has no one else to blame. If an opponent who naturally belongs in a weight class get killed by a guy weighing in 2 and 3 weight classes out of his division at fight time the blame goes on the sport for letting the integrity of having a WEIGHT DIVISION to begin w3ith get compromised. There are 6 more weight classes today than there were just 35 years ago so there is no excuse for a fighter to drain himself except he cant compete at the next class and seeks an unfair advantage to stay in the one he wants.

Comment

Working...
                    X