No announcement yet.

Buster Douglas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yaman View Post
    What a bunch of nonsense. This was in 1990 where Tyson would have had his head decapitated and still would try to get his mouthpiece from the canvas just to continue. Not 1996. You should form your own opinion instead of repeating other people.
    Heart and Mental Toughness are two different things you moron. "Form your own opinion" what the **** are you talking about, I was the first to post in this thread you bloody ignoramous and everyone else has said ATG I said near great you idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      Heart and Mental Toughness are two different things you moron. "Form your own opinion" what the **** are you talking about, I was the first to post in this thread you bloody ignoramous and everyone else has said ATG I said near great you idiot.
      I disagree that Tyson only lost because he couldn't handle someone beating him. If that were the case he would have quit after five rounds. He lost because Buster was simply the better man on the night. Tyson took his beating round after round, still had enough to throw a huge uppercut which almost won him the fight and carried on right up to the ten count. Who do you think would have won the rematch?

Comment

A rematch assuming Buster is in shape and at the top still as motivated, I think Buster wins again, Mike always had a timebomb in him waiting to explode, it was starting to reveal itself slightly before the Buster fight but, when Mike lost his aura of invincibility it was just a straight downhill spiral from there, so I could see Buster winning again.
        Maybe the word I was looking for is "composure" he neglected all the knew and went for the big punches, fair enough he had a different trainer but, you would still know what to do.

Comment

A rematch assuming Buster is in shape and at the top still as motivated, I think Buster wins again, Mike always had a timebomb in him waiting to explode, it was starting to reveal itself slightly before the Buster fight but, when Mike lost his aura of invincibility it was just a straight downhill spiral from there, so I could see Buster winning again.
          Maybe the word I was looking for is "composure" he neglected all the knew and went for the big punches, fair enough he had a different trainer but, you would still know what to do.
          Which is a very big assumption and unlikely imo given how Buster's career panned out. I see the fight in the same way as Griffith-Carter or Robinson-Turpin. The lesser fighter was just the better man on the night. The best version of Tyson was superior to the best version of Douglas so I think he beats him more often that not. It just so happened the one time they met Tyson had an off night and Buster fought the fight of his life. I don't think Buster could replicate that performance and Tyson likely would have been more focused in a rematch. He did look a lot sharper against Ruddock. I think Tyson KOs him, especially if Buster is in the shape he was for Holyfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
            Which is a very big assumption and unlikely imo given how Buster's career panned out. I see the fight in the same way as Griffith-Carter or Robinson-Turpin. The lesser fighter was just the better man on the night. The best version of Tyson was superior to the best version of Douglas so I think he beats him more often that not. It just so happened the one time they met Tyson had an off night and Buster fought the fight of his life. I don't think Buster could replicate that performance and Tyson likely would have been more focused in a rematch. He did look a lot sharper against Ruddock. I think Tyson KOs him, especially if Buster is in the shape he was for Holyfield.
            I'm unsure, considering Tysons mental state after his aura was gone.
            It's a certain Tyson knockout if Douglas is at his Holyfield state htough.

Comment

Let me ask this question: is Buster Douglas worthy of being inducted into the boxing HOF?....

I say, no. He was a 'one and out' hw champion and wasn't ever consistent enough to mount any notable win streaks. His resume' is decent but nowhere near the level of hof status IMO....
              Last edited by BostonGuy; 12-10-2010, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Definitely. For him it was just a thing of focus and training. Douglas had all the skill and potential in the world.

Comment

It does not matter what the reason for a Tyson loss would have been that night. You would STILL say it's because he lacked mental toughness or heart etc. Because that is what your kind does, you do not have the mental capacity to form your own opinion, you hear all this stuff about Tyson having no heart etc and you just run with it because you have no knowledge on this sport. You just repeat popular phrases like a little parrot.

Anyone with knowledge will see that the reason Tyson lost to Douglass was because of a technical aspect and even his conditioning. No amount of mental game will have you winning if a guy is outjabbing, outlanding and all-around outboxing you. But a parrot wouldn't know that if he keeps hearing things like "Tyson didn't have teh heartz en mentalitiz" right? Get out of my way kid, you're not in my league.

Comment

I never re-watched the Tyson-Douglas fight, so it's been over twenty years since I saw it... but Douglas wasn't that good that night. Tyson basically sat at the end of Douglas' jab all night and never forced Douglas to take a backwards step.

Originally posted by Yaman View Post
                    It does not matter what the reason for a Tyson loss would have been that night. You would STILL say it's because he lacked mental toughness or heart etc.
                    Tyson hardly trained for that fight- that's not real indicative of a guy with mental toughness.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                      ... but Douglas wasn't that good that night..
                      You might want to rewatch it: I think you'll get a different impression of Douglas' performance.

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                      Tyson basically sat at the end of Douglas' jab all night and never forced Douglas to take a backwards step.
                      Because Douglas didn't let him do anything other than that. Douglas imposed HIS will on the fight and dictated.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X