Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better overall resume: Calzaghe or Hopkins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

****, im gonna go out and draw with segundo mercado....

Comment

lol taylor would get killed by joe c.......and im one of the biggest jt fan.....

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
        I actually think Taylor would be too much for him. Taylor can box, counter punch and is a hard puncher so anyone with that style would trouble Calzaghe. Kessler was too flat footed so Calzaghe was able to box circle around him, Taylor used the ring nicely and has a great jab as well. Especially the version that showed up to fight Pavlik in the rematch. A straight counter puncher with a good jab would give Calzaghe fits because it would neutralize his foot speed and offset his game.
        Actually Taylor uses the ring very badly, look at the Pavlik fight (especially the first one) he ended up laying on the ropes far to much and Pavlik isn't even a pressure fight he walks you down slowly. Taylor has a sledgehammer jab but despite this he has abandoned it and doesn't use the ring to his advantage. He wastes excessive energy because he's very jumpy and jittery especially early. Calzaghe would chip away at Taylor's stamina and win a UD.

Comment

people put waaaayy to much weight on names.....

kessler>anyone hops ever beat in the respective time they were beaten, that i know......

Comment

Not too far apart to be honest.

Both had long lasting reigns as champions in weak divisions. While De La Hoya and Trinidad were better fighters than Lacy or Kessler, the weight issue puts these victories on a par in my eyes. I'll say that Trinidad is the best win, but I honestly think Calzaghe's Kessler win will look excellent historically. I don't give Hopkins any real credit for narrowly beating a very blown up Winky and the Tarver fight is covered by Calzaghe with his win over Hopkins.

I'm going to call it level.

Comment

Hopkins. Talking strictly resumes I can't really see how people would argue differently to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
                Actually Taylor uses the ring very badly, look at the Pavlik fight (especially the first one) he ended up laying on the ropes far to much and Pavlik isn't even a pressure fight he walks you down slowly. Taylor has a sledgehammer jab but despite this he has abandoned it and doesn't use the ring to his advantage. He wastes excessive energy because he's very jumpy and jittery especially early. Calzaghe would chip away at Taylor's stamina and win a UD.
                You are as good as your last fight and in Taylor's last fight, he looked the best hes ever looked. He didn't back up into any ropes, kept the fight at his own pace and countered. Hopkins caught Calzaghe with almost every straight right hand counter that he threw in the whole fight because Calzaghe is squared up when he throws and he doesn't have any power to get his Taylor respect. Many people pick Calzaghe because the way Taylor lost to Pavlik but Pavlik is the only one who actually bet Jermain. I think it would be a close fight. IMO Taylor is too young. Kessler wasn't as tested on the elite level the way Taylor is and he is a straight back and forward fighter. A good fighter, but i would favor Taylor over him as well.
                Last edited by slicksouthpaw16; 08-25-2008, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
                  people put waaaayy to much weight on names.....

kessler>anyone hops ever beat in the respective time they were beaten, that i know......
                  This kind of talk confuses me a little. Who has Mikkel beaten to this point that suggests this would be the case. I am getting sick of saying it but looking like a beast against Andrade and beating Anthony Mundine does not make you an elite fighter. Can we at least wait for Kessler to beat a top guy before we start making these kind of comments?

Comment

Originally posted by danc1984 View Post
                    This kind of talk confuses me a little. Who has Mikkel beaten to this point that suggests this would be the case. I am getting sick of saying it but looking like a beast against Andrade and beating Anthony Mundine does not make you an elite fighter. Can we at least wait for Kessler to beat a top guy before we start making these kind of comments?
                    Kessler is great because he looks so pretty in the ring when he beats these chumps. Ooh, look at that smooth jab land on a guy who won't move his head!

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
                      ****, im gonna go out and draw with segundo mercado....

Thats interesting considering Hopkins went on to not only fought but beat better fighters than Calzaghe has.

Originally posted by danc1984 View Post
                      Kessler beat Mundine man, who was pound for pound number 1 for years. Mundine= G.O.A.T.

Comment

Working...
                      X