No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Finds His Identity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Finds His Identity

By Jake Donovan - Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was a shy, inexperienced 17-year old fighter the last time he played to a live crowd in the city of Houston. His third and fourth wins came in this boxing-rich city, but at a time when he was still learning on the job and widely viewed as a ticket-selling sideshow.

Nearly eight years later, he’s a far cry from that kid, on every level.

There’s still a sense of humility to the second generation boxer, yet at the same time also carrying a sense of swagger about him. Perhaps it came from winning a major belt in his hard-fought points victory over Sebastian Zbik earlier this year. The old adage goes that with a world championship comes a 25% improvement among that fighter.

The biggest difference these days, though, is that the 25-year young veteran is finally comfortable in his own skin.

The comparisons to his legendary father – arguably the greatest Mexican fighter ever – are unavoidable, as it’s all he’s heard from the moment he turned pro eight years ago. It’s an unfair comparison for any fighter to be expected to live up to such lofty standards, never mind one who bears his name. [Click Here To Read More]

Jake Donovan constructs a very well written article, I must say.

Onto Jr. He just needs to step up to the plate. Stop playing in the farm league and step up to the major leagues. He's steadily fighting journeymen and bums. He needs to step up, just like his father did and fight the bigger names. The more well-known names. He has like 30+ wins now? It's now or be exposed like Cotto was later.

Comment

Junior's problem is he gets hit way too much and this was very evident in his last fight. He hasn't seemed to show any improvement in this area and it will cost him when he fights a puncher

Comment

What a BS article on the pampered and protected JR who, at this point, has yet to fight a top 10 opponent, except when he won/was given the title...if I am wrong on the top 10 please tell me whom that fighter was...

Comment

this chavez jr. is a bum.. seriously..i seen people in the street fight better than this guy..

Comment

I have seen a lot of improvement from JR
            Now if we can just get him to stop screaming like a girl when He hears the word: Maravilla, Sergio or Martinez. He will be a real champion.

Comment

I thought he was coming out of closet to announce he would join women boxing.. hahah lol.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                Jake Donovan constructs a very well written article, I must say.

Onto Jr. He just needs to step up to the plate. Stop playing in the farm league and step up to the major leagues. He's steadily fighting journeymen and bums. He needs to step up, just like his father did and fight the bigger names. The more well-known names. He has like 30+ wins now? It's now or be exposed like Cotto was later.
                wtf are you talking about? cotto fought an ex champion in cesar bazan 2 years into his career. starting with the maussa fight in late 2003, he's been in with good competition ever since with the exception of michael jennings. who was cotto exposed by? a margarito who possibly cheated with loaded gloves?

Comment

Chavez needs a legit opponent, give Rubio his shot dude

Comment

I remember 2 years ago he was saying he wants "tougher competition" lol

Comment

Working...
                    X