No announcement yet.

Jab Cross Footwork help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jab Cross Footwork help?

Hi guys, recently I have gotten tripped up over the jab cross foootwork. What I mean is, when you jab you move the front foot, but do you move the back foot forward and then cross? or rather would you cross while moving the back foot at the same time?

You can do either, depending what you are trying to do. At least starting out, I would recommend jabbing and moving the front foot, then bringing the rear foot up, tapping the toe then throwing that hand. That is if you forget to bring that foot along with you, which is pretty common. That little tap reminds you. Of course you dispense with it once you fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
      You can do either, depending what you are trying to do. At least starting out, I would recommend jabbing and moving the front foot, then bringing the rear foot up, tapping the toe then throwing that hand. That is if you forget to bring that foot along with you, which is pretty common. That little tap reminds you. Of course you dispense with it once you fix the problem.
      So there are different uses? Could you elaborate please if you have the time? Thanks!
      Also, both ways are correct right?

Comment

There are drills you can do in this area. Sliding the front foot forward as you jab, then throw the rear hand as the rear foot moves. Or, as I mentioned, move the rear foot up, dig that toe in and throw the punch. You can slide the left foot to the left- from here on I'm assuming an orthodox stance- and jab, then pivot on the left foot, dig in the right toe and shoot the right. Going the other way...I teach jabbing as you slide the left foot slightly to the right, then throwing the right hand as you pivot to the right on the left foot. That really gets your body weight going behind the punch.
        If you are solid with bringing your right foot up when you step with the left then I would dispense with the toe tap, and just throw the punch as you step forward with the right foot. It keeps your weight moving forward. Timing and distance issues may make you plant that foot first but that will something you'll pick up on as you go and will vary from situation to situation.
        When you are circling to your left, you'll plant that right foot fist, then throw the punch because your weight will not be turning in the direction you want it to go. If I'm making sense.

Comment

What I am having trouble with though is the rear foor anfd the cross. usually while standing still you throw a cross by pushing off you back foot and pivoting rihgt? So how do I move up my backfoot? Should I slide or should i step? also should I land my back foot and then throw my cross, or throw it as it moves up? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X