Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Floyd and Roy were the same size how do you see a fight going in their primes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Even Money View Post
    Floyd's defense neutralizes volume. For every 5 points of energy you spend, he spends one. Plus Roy would be missing a lot. You're underrating Floyd's defense.

Also if they were the same size then Floyd would have much more power.
    oh man.....

Comment

Originally posted by Defututus View Post
      oh man.....
      Not more power than Roy. More power than what he has at his smaller size.

Roy doesn't have much of a chin and Floyd is very accurate.

Prime Floyd was just a pure perfect boxer with the best footwork, conditioning and defense I've ever seen. I don't put much above him P4P.
      Last edited by DARKSEID; 10-04-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
        Hmmmm...

I meanNeither guy has faced anyone that resembled the other. .
        Prime James Toney doesn't resemble Floyd?

Comment

Originally posted by Even Money View Post
          Not more power than Roy. More power than what he has at his smaller size.

Roy doesn't have much of a chin and Floyd is very accurate.
          Call me crazy but I could see Floyd breaking him down with body shots and dropping him (flash knockdown most likely). Roy was superman, but his advantages were insane because of his size too. His speed and athletisism, while impressive and insane aren't that far off from the lighter guys so it wouldnt translate as well against a lightweight/140 Floyd. Roy was a big puncher who literally moved like a lightweight. I think in the grand scheme of things, he doesnt matchup as well with the good welters an down who came up as he does with some of the bigger guys. Just my opinion. Floyd has seen and shoulder rolled Roy type of speed... Sure, not that type of power, but we're talking p4p, which means Floyd could hurt him as well. Floyd on the offensive is fearsome as much as i hate admitting

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
            Prime Toney and Prime Floyd? Toney wishes he was the athlete Floyd was. Floyd was faster, quicker, moves a lot more and was much more versatile. He didn't stand in the pocket at 130-140 as much as he does now.

I don't think this fantasy matchup will play out anything like Jones vs. Toney. On top of that, Toney was drained and sluggish in the fight against Roy.

Comment

Could go either way. Griffin showed that Roy's offense can be neutralized (at least for a while) if you bob and weave and get real low. Floyd would do just that and would frustrate Roy for several rounds. But the thing is, no matter how bad he's losing, Roy still has the speed and power to turn a fight around at any time and he's one of the best finishers I've ever seen. Can Floyd dodge all these supersonic bullets for 12 rounds? That's the question.

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
              Hard to imagine, 140 version of Floyd, which in my opinion he was at his absolute best versus a prime Roy.
              140 lb Floyd was a monster.

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
              He does, when he's not weight drained.

Comment

Two all time greats to me and a very close match up if both were in their primes and the same size. I give the edge to Jones. Fast as Floyd was, Roy was faster. Roy was a better puncher. Floyd was a beautiful boxer with a great defense but was somewhat predictable. Roy had a huge variety of punches from stange angles and thrown with great speed and accuracy. He had blinding fast combinations.Sometimes Roy's punches seem to come out of nowhere. Floyd had fast accurate punches and combinations too but his were more predictable.Roy had incredible timing and reactions and was slighly better than Floyd in that way also. I think Roy could deal with Floyd better than Floyd could deal with Roy. I see Roy landing a few more punches to win a close one. Roy had explosive power and could end a fight with one punch so I think he could KO Floyd but a close u.d. would be more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr LarryX View Post
                  I want to hear breakdowns and reasons why one would win please,educate me............
                  No reason to.

Floyd: I'm not thinking about boxing right now. RETIRES

Comment

Originally posted by Mr LarryX View Post
                    I want to hear breakdowns and reasons why one would win please,educate me............

Floyd would win a close decision,he`s far more skilled then Roy.If 5`7 Montel Griffin can give Roy problems then just imagine what Floyd that`s Roys size would do.

Roy was vulnerable to good counter punchers cause he telegraphs his punches alot and he sometimes looped his punches.Most of Roy`s opponents could not take advantage of that cause they lack the reflexes and timing to do so.That`s where Floyd comes in.Floyd would counter alot of Roys punches especially the looping ones.

Antonio Tarver was able to KO Roy with a left hand cause Roy threw a looping telegraphed punch which is something Roy does a lot.

Griffin was able to counter Roy a lot cause Roy telegraphed his punches
                    and kept his hands low.

Roy also a lot of times backs up with his hands low to the ropes which left him open to getting caught with a straight punch.And being that Roy gets in the corners a lot Floyd would carefully pick his shots to not get countered by Roy while Roy is in the corners.

Comment

To me this is very hard. Floyd is a lot better boxer than roy, with amazing defense, and quick reflexes. Roy is a much more gifted athlete (maybe one of the best to ever lace gloves in that respect), with a devestating offense, and quicker reflexes (imo).

It'll all come down to imo if Floyd can figure out Roy fast enough. I personally see a close UD for roy tbh. At their primes he was a beast and while Mayweather is the most gifted boxer in the sport...the athlete here would out work him. Roy is blistering fast and hit pretty damn hard. Floyd would make it competitive but in the end.... UD 12 Roy.

Comment

Working...
                      X