Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did George Foreman deserve a title shot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did George Foreman deserve a title shot?

I am talking about his first shot at Frazier, here. Granted I am reading it off boxrec, but 3 of the 5 opponents he fought immediately before he got his shot actually had losing records, which is remarkable. I know he was an Olympic gold medalist and I rate him in my top 5 heavyweights ever, but it seems to me that he really did not as his record was, with one or two exceptions, devoid of any contenders, particularly top contenders.

When George knocked out Chuvalo, Chuvalo was ranked #7 by the Ring. The first time he beat Peralta he was ranked #10. Boone Kirkman was 22-1 and Kirkland avenged his only defeat by beating Doug Jones.

George was an Olympic gold medalist and 37-0 as a pro with 34 knockouts.

So I believe he deserved a shot.

Comment

Foreman sure as hell deserved it more than the two previous challengers for Frazier's title, Ron Stander and Terry Daniels.

Comment

It was well deserved ... unlike old Foreman against Moorer.

That wasn't deserved.

Comment

Frazier thought it was going to be easy

He underestimated George and showed up in soft shape. Foreman had avoided Quarry, Bonavena, and other tough guys and many thought he was a built up phoney. Which he was NOT.

Comment

Fraziers people did NOT want this fight but Joe said OK! Joe was a gold medalists and honored Georges accomplishment with gold also. Everyone knew this was a bad match of styles...............for Joe, no one else had any real desire to fight Big George either. He was the heaviests handed heavy ever! Ray.

Comment

Quarry wanted to fight him

Ray: Quarry wanted to fight George very badly but Dick Sadler wanted no part of a spoiler like Jerry.

Comment

Quarry would fight a bear if there was a buck in it! Or for free on some days I'd guess! Quarry feared no one!! Ray

Comment

George definitely deserved his shot, better than Joe's last two challengers.

Comment

Working...
                  X