Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breathing, more valuable than running in Combat Sports?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
    This is 2012. I run my athletes because one of my mentors Andrew Council says that running gives you a mental boost confidence wise. Knowing that you put your miles in. It's not scientific but that's good enough for me. My other mentor Michael Olajide prefers to jump rope for 60 minutes as opposed to run. He is THE Energizer Bunny. I am blessed to have more than one view of training. People train different all over the world.

I'm a fan of specificity of training. So I can work technique, conditioning, and discipline at the same time. It's a different Method of Teaching from my military experience. I like total body workouts and isometric conditioning also to supplement running...
    so in 1880 they knew why they had their athelets running but now in 2012 you have them run because some one told you it builds mental confidence??

im also a fan of specivity training, if i get what your saying.

like you can go sprint for 3 min intervals, or you can work foot work at high intenisty keeping your hands up for 3 min intervals. in my opinion working foot work at a high intensity would be much better then sprinting.

the thing is that you can build confidence by jumping rope for 60 mins or you can build confidence by running 6 miles, the main diffrence though is that when running 6 miles you have a much better opertunity to pratice breathing, while you improve all the other things that jogging does...increased lung capacity, metabolizing excess lactae to improve recovery, improved heart rate, increased lactate threshold, increased blood flow, oppertunity to shadow box, not as musculary taxing on shoulders and knees....and more.
    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 03-08-2012, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
      so in 1880 they knew why they had their athelets running but now in 2012 you have them run because some one told you it builds mental confidence??

im also a fan of specivity training, if i get what your saying.

like you can go sprint for 3 min intervals, or you can work foot work at high intenisty keeping your hands up for 3 min intervals. in my opinion working foot work at a high intensity would be much better then sprinting.

the thing is that you can build confidence by jumping rope for 60 mins or you can build confidence by running 6 miles, the main diffrence though is that when running 6 miles you have a much better opertunity to pratice breathing, while you improve all the other things that jogging does...increased lung capacity, metabolizing excess lactae to improve recovery, improved heart rate, increased lactate threshold, increased blood flow, oppertunity to shadow box, not as musculary taxing on shoulders and knees....and more.
      I think long distance running for boxing is pointless ok. i have many other ways to get the work out of them. I named a few in the blog, i posted some videos for you..... Yes the only reason I make my fighters run is because one of my mentors who is brilliant and i trust told me to run them. That mentor was never knocked out fough B HOP twice, Winky, Kieth Holmes, and Buddy McGirt. His word especially coming from Head Bangers boxing is golden to me on some things. This is one of them. If you disagree... what can I say. Im still gonna do what I do and continue to collect wins globally... Different strokes for different folks..

Comment

I honestly did little running as a pro. Had some issues with my knees where they would swell up after runs. When fights would come close I'd just go work the hills.

I got my endurance busting my ass in the gym and doing alot of sparring. I don't believe that there was a fighter at Galaxy that sparred more than me except for James. My regular routine was 3 with Bronco and then Tarick would come in fresh and I'd work another 3 with him, or vice-versa. A couple rounds with somebody else and then it was time for the floor work and nobody worked harder on the floor, my trainer was almost suicidal about how hard he worked me. In my opinion running is important but no exactly needed if you compensate in other ways....Rockin'

Comment

I think long distance running for boxing is pointless.
          Would it confuse you if I told you that I absolutely agree with your comment? Because I do absolutely agree. They're training for a fight, not a marathon........Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 03-08-2012, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            Would it confuse you if I told you that I absolutely agree with your comment? Because I do absolutely agree. They're training for a fight, not a marathon........Rockin'
            Your not the first person in my career that has tried to discourage me. So no Im not confused. One of the first things I said was Blind Hate. This is the way of the world. If the media does not say your name...

Comment

I think long distance running for boxing is pointless ok.
              that makes sense as you seem to be unable to grasp how it improves a boxers ability to breath.

john l sullivan, walked 14 miles a day, some times hed run 1-2 miles.

rocky marciano, 6 miles a day working up to 20 miles before fights.

jim jeffries 14 miles a day at 7 mph

bob fitzsimmons 8-16 miles a day composed of running sprinting jogging and walking.

muhhamad ali 6-7 miles a day

joe calhagze 5 miles a day

floyd mayweather 3-8 miles a day

aside from the jeffries vs johnson fight ive never herd of an instance where any of these guys gassing in the ring.

and even in the jeffries instance, they guy lost 40 lbs in like 2 months and was still able to go 13 rounds with a near prime jack johnson.

long disntace running might be pointless if your doing 20+ rounds a day in the gym, but it sure did seem to help all the guys mentioned above.

a basic understanding of how anerobic threshold is entierly reliant on your aerobic capacity would probly shed some light on the importance of long distance running.

here think about this,

when training you dont do 4 min rounds because you subconsiouly pace yourself for 4 mins, so when you have to do 3 min rounds you actually trained at a slower pace then you should have.

studies have been done that show that amature boxers, reguardless if they are doing 3 min rounds or 2 min rounds , have extremly high lvls of lactate in their system at th end of each round.

so what this tells me is that boxers sub consiously pace them selfs per round in relation to their lactate threahold.

now given this information, one can surmise that by improving lactate threshold you directly improve the pace you can maintain in the ring.

as long distance running directly improves aerobic capacity, long distance running directly improves the pace you are able to maintain in the ring.

now that is why long distance running is good.

but why is long distance running better then the other 5000 exercises hat improves aerobic capacity????/?/?/

because it is the only one that gives you a chance to improve breathing under a steady pace with a steady rythm while your body is under physical stress.
              Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 03-08-2012, 06:23 AM.

Comment

that makes sense as you seem to be unable to grasp how it improves a boxers ability to breath.

bob fitzsimmons 8-16 miles a day composed of running sprinting jogging and walking.

aside from the jeffries vs johnson fight ive never herd of an instance where any of these guys gassing in the ring.

and even in the jeffries instance, they guy lost 40 lbs in like 2 months and was still able to go 13 rounds with a near prime jack johnson.

long disntace running might be pointless if your doing 20+ rounds a day in the gym, but it sure did seem to help all the guys mentioned above.
                How does the speed bag help you for boxing?

Comment

so it's fair to say that the speed bag also helped them win?

Comment

Your not the first person in my career that has tried to discourage me. So no Im not confused. One of the first things I said was Blind Hate. This is the way of the world. If the media does not say your name...
                    I was agreeing with you.

It's not blind hate. When you sarcasticaly called me an expert as if I were some chump on the corner it did piss me off, so I decided to find out just what you've done to speak to me that way.

I was just telling you that your boys progress would be stunted having him work with somebody else more than you. And I still firmly believe that.

Oh, the papers said my name plenty of times w/photos and the television showed my image fighting on numerous occasions, world wide even, fights at the Palace, blah blah blah.

Keep doing your thing, you do work the pads well. And that's not a knock on you but a compliment..........Rockin'

Comment

The speed bag is a great tool for building incredible endurance in your shoulders........Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                      X