Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Russian Sports Minister Rips 'British Politics' For Medal Run

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Russian Sports Minister Rips 'British Politics' For Medal Run

Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko has accused hosts Britain of using political clout to win medals at the London Olympics.

"The Brits are just as (bad) as (the Chinese) in Beijing," Mutko told Russian media on Saturday. "Here in London everyone wants the British to win. They have a very strong political support."

Mutko's comments on Saturday came as Russia faced the prospect of their worst finish on the medal table since they entered the 1952 Games as the Soviet Union. Since those Helsinki Games until 2004 the former Soviet Union and then Russia tussled with the United States to top the medal table.

[Click Here To Read More]

Is there anybody out there who isn't upset? Politics? They just noticed? Oh they did mention the Chinese were better than the English. Is that good?

Comment

So Russian fighters lose to foreign boxers and it's Britain's fault?

He might have a case if they were losing to British fighters but I can't really see his point.

Incidentally, the host nation at any Olympics statistically does 1.5% better in the overall medals count.
      Last edited by Weebler I; 08-11-2012, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
        So Russian fighters lose to foreign boxers and it's Britain's fault?
        Yep, they are hosting the games, its on them to make sure everything is done right. Everything!

Normally I'd say Russia is just being a bad sport, but we've seen our boxers get jobbed as well. Its not right. I hope the Olympics are not there again in my lifetime. I have nothing against England, but they screwed a lot of people "Royally" in these Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by RossCA View Post
          Yep, they are hosting the games, its on them to make sure everything is done right. Everything!

Normally I'd say Russia is just being a bad sport, but we've seen our boxers get jobbed as well. Its not right. I hope the Olympics are not there again in my lifetime. I have nothing against England, but they screwed a lot of people "Royally" in these Olympics.
          Funny how the US had their best medal run when they were hosting it.

Comment

Originally posted by RossCA View Post

Normally I'd say Russia is just being a bad sport, but we've seen our boxers get jobbed as well. Its not right.
            Indeed, one of them was allowed to re-enter and promptly lost his next fight. Think you need to look closer to home for answers to be honest.

Russia are sore at the past two Olympics because it's the first time they've been pushed into 3rd and 4th place and made to look weak on the world stage. As sports minister this guy's job is on the line so he's grasping at whatever he can.

I hope the Olympics are not there again in my lifetime. I have nothing against England, but they screwed a lot of people "Royally" in these Olympics.
            The London Olympics are actually in the running for best Olympics ever, sorry you haven't enjoyed them.

Comment

This is boxing. The only sport I have seen in the Olympics where scores are not easy to look at.

At the end of the day, if Pac can get jobbed, anyone can.

All 5 judges are there, and they have done their jobs for a while. Some fights have been suspect, not just for the Brit's.

Comment

This is weak from the Russians, they're coming off as crybabies. Katie Taylor clearly won her fight and deserved the gold medal.
                Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 08-11-2012, 10:31 PM.

Comment

russian minister of sports doesn't understand a **** about boxing , all three russian men : airapetian , aloyan and zamkovoy lost deservingly .

Comment

foolish comments really

He's right about Ochigava though, she didn't deserve that score. If anything she lost the fight by even more than 2 points. She was never winning that fight and the 2nd round scoring was a joke. Even in the First Taylor landed 5 scoring punches. This guy was clearly on the Vodka before these stupid comments.

Comment

Working...
                    X